Saturday we went out and spent some time with friends and caught a movie. Once that was done, BP went off to poker with the guys and I headed back to the house to bake it up......and I had to do most of it in stealth mode while BP's dad was in the next room. Happily he had no idea what I was baking, he just knew I was baking. The pie came together quickly, as do most pies. The longest part is waiting for it to cool and set up. So while it was cooling, I started away on some cookies for a BBQ we were going to. Not just any cookie, S'mores Cookies.
Now I've made these cookies tons of time in the past, and every time I make them people go crazy for them. I was a little worried though because BP isn't that big on S'mores in general. When I told him what I wanted to make for the BBQ, he just gave me a look like "OK Nugget, do your thing". Oh ye of little faith. Never doubt my baking skills :)
Cookies baking away, BP and I were texting back and forth about his dad's pie. We were like kids on Christmas Eve, getting impatient for it to be ready so I could give it to him. But in the mean time, I was focused on cookies. And when I texted BP this picture,
Finally the pie was cooled and ready to top!! I was so excited.
|so pretty.....ok not really but we can pretend|
Pie = hit. Cookies?? Let's get back to the cookies and BP.......he got home Friday night and eyed the cookies. I was eating one and asked if he wanted one. He said no but he would have a bite of mine. All it took was one bite. He was hooked. Time for the BBQ and I had packed up 2 tins worth of cookies to bring with us. I turn around with the tins in my hands and the look on BP's face was horror. "Let's hold up a second - we don't need to bring all of those with us. Some of them need to stay here with us". Now, we already had a tin going just for us. He proceeded to take half of one tin and put it into ours. You know, to make it through the week. All I could think of while he was taking more cookies for us was I love this man.
Weekend came to a close, pie was demolished, a few cookies left. Amazing time with BP and friends. And S'mores cookies will be making another appearance, maybe for poker night at BP's house.
Key Lime Pie
makes one 9" pie
1 1/4 cups graham-cracker crumbs6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup fresh Key-lime juice
1 tablespoon grated Key-lime rind
3/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
1. Heat oven to 375°. Combine graham-cracker crumbs, butter, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl, and mix well. Press into a buttered 8-inch pie plate, and bake 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool completely on a
2. In a mixing bowl, combine condensed milk, egg yolks, lime juice, and rind. Pour into the prepared, cooled crust.
3. Lower oven to 325°. Return pie to oven, and bake approximately 15 to 17 minutes, until the center is set but still quivers when the pan is nudged.
4. Remove from oven, and let stand until cool.
5. Shortly before serving, whip cream until stiffened. Decorate pie with whipped cream, and serve at room temperature.