Sunday, October 19, 2014

Bourbon Bacon Jam

When I'm bored I look on the websites of the baking blogs that I follow. I usually find recipes here that sound great and I want to try out. And as always, I tweak the recipe. I can't help it - I look it over and instantly my mind starts going this needs to be added or swap this out for that. I do try the recipes the way they are intended to be, but I usually end up always making my version instead. 

So one day I'm looking through things and there it is, Bourbon Bacon Jam. My minds first thought - this is either going to be amazing or awful. There will be no in-between. I told BP about it and he agreed that it could only go two ways. And I knew that I was going to make it now, especially since my parents and one of my sisters were coming into town to finally visit us. 

Thursday night was full of cleaning and baking. My dad had requested Brown Butter Pumpkin Cupcakes (he also requested his favorite chocolate cupcakes but I didn't have enough time to make both. He had to choose one - and my dad being my dad teased me about why I couldn't make both for him). 
On my list was this jam. 



Cooking this stuff smells amazing. I have never made jam before so I was a little worried that it would turn out to be a horrible mess. Once it was done cooking, time for it to cool. I took a bite of it warm and it was tasty - but this is jam and it needs to be cold.

Hours went by and BP was growing impatient about taste testing it. So on our way to bed he tried a little...he took two bites it was so good. The nerd in me started doing a little dance inside my head. 

Saturday we had everyone over for breakfast before our long day of fun filled events. And the star of breakfast was this jam. Amazing. It can go on anything - any bread, sandwich, hamburgers, you name it, it can go on it. Sweet and tangy and oh so amazing. Worth the wait for it to cool all the way. 

Bourbon Bacon Jam
Makes 8 oz

Ingredients 

1 pound uncooked sliced bacon, cut into tiny pieces (freeze it slightly to make it easier to cut into tiny pieces 
1 small yellow onion, diced
2/3 cup strongly brewed coffee
1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar 
2 tbsp molasses
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp bourbon (whiskey would work well here too)
Tiny pinch of ground cloves

Directions 

1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon until brown and crispy. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. 
2. Carefully remove all of the oil from the pan except for 1 tbsp. Add the onions and cook until soft. 
3. Add the coffee, vinegar, sugar and molasses. Stir until combined. 
4. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, add the bacon. 
5. Reduce the temperature to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
6. Turn off the heat. Add maple syrup, bourbon and cloves. Mix well, making sure you scrape the bottom of the skillet. Transfer mixture to 8 oz jar. Let cool completely and be chilled before serving. 



No comments:

Post a Comment