Monday, July 22, 2013

Jello Cake

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted - I apologize for that.  Things have been busy to say the least.  Finally things calmed down and BP put in a request.   Shocking I know, I never say no when he asks me to make him something.  But this one was a special request - something his mom used to make for him all the time.  The pressure was on.  I wanted this cake to live up to his memory of when his mom used to make it.  I had never heard of this, but looked it up online and it seemed really easy. 

I checked and double checked with BP about which recipe to make.  I had to make sure it was the right one.  I wanted to make BP proud with this cake, and to honor his mom through it as well.  She raised such an amazing and loving man.  I wish I could tell her that, and thank her for him.

 This is the easiest thing to make - and it may sound strange, but trust me, it's tasty.  While I was making this cake (and letting it cool and set up), I also got to make BP's dad an Apple Pie - his request.  How could I say no to that?! But we will get into the pie in another post.  Back to the cake. 

Simple - make the cake, let it cool a little, poke some holes and pour jello over the top of it, let it cool in the fridge for a while and then top off with a layer of pudding (I had to have BP make this for me since me and instant pudding don't mix), let it set some more and then finish off with cool whip.  It is a little labor intensive, well not really just a lot of steps, but totally worth it.  And it's a light dessert - not heavy at all.  Perfect summer dessert. 

I'm sure at this point you're wondering what this hot mess of a cake looks like.  All the pictures I saw of it before hand had me so worried that it wouldn't turn out the same way.  Sometimes my perfectionist way gets the best of me.  I wanted this thing to be perfect.

Ba-zing!!
Jackpot! Looked just like all the pictures I saw.  I was so relieved.  Ok - I did have a minor panic when I cut the first piece and tried to get it out of the pan.......

what a hot mess!
.....I took this piece for myself, I couldn't bear handing this over to BP.  Time for him to try it out was upon me.  He was waiting anxiously for it - and soon I saw that smile I love so much come across his face.  He turned and looked at me and I asked if it was just as he remembered it - he said yes and gave me a kiss.  Relief flooded over me and I happily tried out my hot mess of a piece.  Even if it wasn't in one piece, it was amazingly delicious. 

Jello Cake
makes one 13x9 cake
 
1 18oz box white cake mix
ingredients called for on cake mix box
1 3oz box strawberry Jell-O gelatin (or any flavor - we used black cherry)
1 3/4 cups boiling water
(1) 3 1/2 oz box instant vanilla pudding
1 tub Cool Whip
 
  1. Bake cake according to box directions.  Let cool awhile. 
  2. Dissolve jello in boiling water.  Poke holes all over cake with fork.  Pour jello evenly over cake.  Refrigerate at least a couple hours.
  3. Prepare pudding as directed on package and let chill for awhile. 
  4. Spread pudding evenly over cake and chill. 
  5. Spread Cool Whip over top of cake and serve.  Garnish with fresh fruit if desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment