Now I needed a night when there would be lots of people there, so our home group meeting was perfect. And who better to try it out than some of our friends who love the original version.
I have to say this is the best looking cake I've ever made. And it's fantastic! Exceeded all of my expectations of this being in cake form.
A much lighter version and just as tasty as the original brownie version.
Slutty Brownie Cake
Make one 3 layer 9" cake
• For the cake layers:
• 4 cups cake flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup butter, room temp
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
• 4 eggs
• 2 cups milk
• For the Frosting
• 2 lb (8 cups) confectioners sugar
• 3 cups shortening
• 1 stick (1/2 cup) room temperature butter
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 4-6 tbsp milk
• Cookie Dough Layer
• 1 tbsp molasess
• 2 cups mini chocolate chips
• Oreo Layer
• 12 oreos crumbled
• Brownie Layer
• 1/3 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
• Optional toppings
• 1-2 cups ganache
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together for 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, Beat in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add half the flour mixture. Add 1 cup of milk and mix until combined. Add remaining flour mixture and beat. Add remaining buttermilk and beat. Remove from the mixer and finish mixing by hand if needed. Divide the batter into 3 bowls (about 3 cups) adding in the various mix-ins for each layer listed below. Once combined, transfer the dough into the prepped cake pans.
4. Bake until golden brown and done, about 30-35 minutes. Let cakes cool for a few minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Make the ganache: In a small saucepan bring the heavy cream and vanilla extract to a simmer. Place chocolate chips in heat proof bowl. Once cream mixture is simmering, pour over chocolate chips. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir until fully combined and smooth. Let stand, stirring occasionally until thickens to desired consistency, about 30 minutes. Make the frosting.
6. Frosting: In large stand mixer or bowl, mix shortening and butter until smooth. Scrape down sides of bowl and add confectioners sugar, one cup at a time. After every 2 additions, beat on high for 10 seconds. Once all of the confectioners sugar has been added, add vanilla extract and 4 tbsp milk. Add more milk if needed.
7. Frost cake: chocolate chip layer on the bottom, Oreo layer in the middle and brownie layer on top with frosting in between each layer. Frost the top and sides of the cake. Pour ganache over the top and let drip down the sides of the cake. Garnish with bits of chocolate chip cookies, Oreos and brownies.