Monday, February 27, 2012

Snickers Cake

I found this in Food Network's Magazine.  It looked amazing - and it was mostly premade stuff, which I knew I would make from scratch.  I was on a mission to make this amazing cake, even though I hate Snickers.  I mean it sounded so simple, what could go wrong?  Oh man was this a doozy. 
Even I have to admit it looks really good
My search started out looking for something simple, Dulce de Leche.  I couldn't find it anywhere.  I searched high and low for it and nothing.  I wasn't going to drive 30 minutes away on the off chance they would have it.  So I went home and made my own.  2 cans of Sweetened Condensed Milk over a double boiler, and 5 hours of stirring every 15 minutes later, I had my own Dulce de Leche.  Yes, I really spent 5 hours of my day making this.  And a little over an hour to it, one of my best friends posted a link to make it in my microwave in 20 minutes.  The taunting was hysterical, it made the 5 hours go by very quickly. 

Now I have nothing against using premade things, I just prefer making things from scratch.  So I wanted to make my own pound cake for this.  This was the part I wasn't worried about at all.  The 5 hours passed quickly and my Ducle de Leche was chilling in the fridge. It was time to make the pound cake.  Easy and simple I had it in the oven in no time.  And an hour later, all I had was a mostly cooked cake with the middle raw - like liquid raw.  I left it in the oven for 20 more minutes and still no change.  I took it out and decided I would try again after running some errands.  I get back and get going on making another one.  And wouldn't you know it - I still had raw cake, but not as bad as the first one.  Bottom line the cake was not usable.  Frustrated at my oven for acting up again, I had a mini breakdown.  Hours later I decided to go to my parents and use their oven - I knew it wouldn't let me down.  I made the cake and tossed it into the oven and waited - nervously....and not so patiently.

this was needed - in the worst way
After I calmed down, I checked on my cake....it was perfect.  Golden brown and cooked all the way!! I happily left my parents house and knew that I would go to bed happy and wake up in the morning and make the cake. 

Morning came and I started making the cake.  I made the chocolate frosting and frosted the cake.

chocolate frosting - check

I put the layer of peanuts and Ducle de Leche on

not the prettiest thing but tasty

Things were going smoothly and I thought that there would be no setbacks....I spoke too soon.  I had no issues until I got to the part of covering it with chocolate.  I needed way more than it said I would.

lots of chocolate

 My suggestion, instead of using the chocolate chips and butter that they suggest, is getting some Candy Quick - melts easily and coats fantastic! You will be sure to have no issues when you use it.  I actually picked up 8 bags of it over the weekend (it was on sale at A.C. Moore) so now I'm ready for the next time I make this. And make sure to buy premade Ducle de Leche - 5 hours in front of your stove is not fun.  But it was worth all the trouble - my taste testers said this was amazing.  Couldn't stop telling me how good it was and that they couldn't stop eating it. 

Snickers Cake

For the cake:
(1) 12 oz.  frozen pound cake
3 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
3-4 tbsp milk
(1) 1 pound box confectioners sugar
3/4 cup salted roasted peanuts
2 cups dulce de leche

For the coating:
10 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
1 stick cold butter, cut into pieces

  1. Assemble the cake: Trim 1/2" off the short ends of the pound cake, then trim the domed top to make it flat.  Stand the cake on its side and slice in half horizontally to make two equal-size rectangles.
  2. Microwave the chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring until melted.  Beat the butter, 3 tbsp milk and confectioners sugar with a mixer.  Beat in the melted chocolate.  Add more milk, if needed, to make the frosting spreadable.
  3. Lay the cake rectangles on a rack set on a rimmed baking sheet.  Spread some of the frosting on one short end of each cake and press together to form a long rectangle. 
  4. Spread the remaining frosting on the cake in a 1" thick layer; making the edges slightly higher than the center.  Smooth the top and sides with an offset spatula.  Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
  5. Mix the peanuts and dulce de leche in a bowl.
  6. Remove the cake from the freezer.  Spread the peanut mixture on the frosting in a flat, even layer.  Freeze until the ducle de leche is firm, about 30 minutes.
  7. Meanwhile, make the chocolate coating: Microwave the chocolate and butter in 30 second intervals, stirring, until melted and smooth.
  8. Pour the chocolate on the cake and spread it evenly over the top and sides with an offset spatula.  Freeze until the chocolate cools slightly, 6-8 minutes.
  9. Starting at a short end of the cake, dip the edge of an offset spatula into the chocolate at an angle and gently pull up, repeating along the top of the cake to create a wave pattern.  Chill 10 minutes before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment