Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Coconut Crispy Bars

One of my friends recently had to give up dairy and asked me for some dairy free treats.  Loving a challenge I happily accepted and went on the hunt for some good ones.  I came up with two great recipes.  This one is the easiest, and you will be surprised at how easy and delicious they are.  Even if you aren't dairy free, these should be made.  All you need is a blender, a large bowl and a baking dish.  Yes, I found a dairy-free no bake treat.  Perfect for all year round, and can be made in under 10 minutes, the longest part is when it goes into set the freezer to set. 

I mean look at these - must try
I happily posted this on my personal Facebook page and sent the recipe along to my friend that requested it. Some of the responses were great - send them to me, send them to me and I can deliver, licking the screen right now.  I have to say I was highly impressed with these.  I wasn't sure how a fake rice krispie treat would taste, but these are amazing.  And if you want to make them non gluten-free, just use regular Rice Krispies. 

Coconut Crispy Bars
makes 12 bars
 
Ingredients:
 
1-1/2 Cups + 1/4 Cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut, plus additional for sprinkling if desired (about 2 Tablespoons)
6 Tablespoons (1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) Honey or Agave Nectar
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Gluten-Free Rice Krispie Cereal
3/4 cup Dairy-Free Vegan Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
 
  1. Lightly grease an 8 x 8 baking pan
  2. Place the 1-1/2 cups of coconut in a food processor or spice grinder, and whiz until it begins to clump and turn into a paste (about 1 minute).
  3. Add the honey and vanilla, and quickly blend again to incorporate.
  4. Place the crispy rice cereal and the remaining 1/4 cup of shredded coconut in a large bowl, add the coconut paste mixture, and stir with a wooden spoon or lightly greased hands (I use my hands) to combine.
  5. Press the crispy mix evenly into the baking pan. If needed, you can use plastic wrap or parchment paper between your hands and the mix as you press it in to avoid sticking.
  6. Chill the treats in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
  7. In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate 30 seconds at a time until chocolate is almost fully melted.  Stir until smooth.  Pour over the top of treats and sprinkle remaining coconut on top of chocolate if desired.  Place in fridge to set for 10 - 15 minutes. 
  8. Cut the krispies into squares or bars, big or small.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment