Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Buttered Rum Muffins

I have to admit, I love when BP looks at me and has a baking request. I'm never anywhere near close to knowing what he wants me to make this time. The man keeps me on my toes, and I love it. So when the request was made for Buttered Rum Muffins, I have to admit I'd never heard of them. Apparently they are huge in the south and Giant makes some really good ones (that's Stop and Shop to all you guys up North). 

And wouldn't you know it, we had rum in the house. And honestly, we all know how I love to bake with booze. It's amazing how it can enhance things. 


With the Captain ready and waiting, off I got to baking. And these are pretty easy. BP was out with some guy friends and I got to baking. BP's dad and I were talking about the muffins and how we weren't too sure about them when BP and his friends came home. Of course the muffins were ready and waiting and the guys zeroed in on them.


They were quickly half gone. Also got the comment that you can really taste the rum. What can I say, there's a glaze that goes on top and seeps into the muffins so you can really taste the rum. 

With the guys downstairs catching up, BP's dad and I tried a muffin. Oh man, I spit mine out. BP's dad wasn't too thrilled with them either. We both joked about how they weren't for us, but we were glad BP likes them. But I'm pretty sure these won't get made again. And I totally want to try Giant's version of these muffins because I'm sure the recipe is completely different from the one I used. So if you're daring try them out. 

Buttered Rum Muffins
Makes 12 muffins 

1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
2 large eggs
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 c milk
5 Tbsp rum, divided
3 Tbsp sugar

Directions
Pre-heat oven 350 Beat butter with mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add sugar, beating well, add eggs, one at a time beating just until blended after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cloves and nutmeg together in small bowl. Combine milk and 3 Tbsp rum in measuring cup. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed after each addition. Spoon mixture in each muffin cup 3/4 full, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven, place on cooling rack. Combine remaining 2 Tbsp rum and 3 Tbsp sugar in small saucepan, cook over low heat, stirring constantly until sugar disolves, brush over warm muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment