Saturday, November 10, 2012

Iced Pumpkin Cookies

I had training class all week this week, which was a huge over load of information. But it was great training - and of course I was baking all week.  Which my co-workers loved.  So for our last day I thought I would make something using the pumpkin I had sitting in my fridge, waiting to be used.  I was on the hunt for a fast, easy and delicious pumpkin cookie - and I found it.  These were ready extremely quickly and were baked off and cooling in no time.  Once cooled, time to ice them.  Personally, I love this part - no matter how bad you are artistically (which we all know is not a strong point of mine), when you ice it always looks pretty.  I filled up my ziplock plastic bag, snipped the corner and away I went drizzling the icing over each cookie.

pretty cookies
Let the icing set and then they are ready to go.  The following morning, I packed up my tupperware full of cookies and off to work I went.  Everyone was excited for cookies on the last day - and after the week of information loading we had all gotten, these were a welcome escape for everyone.  I was happy that when the day was over I only had 2 cookies remaining to bring home. 

Iced Pumpkin Cookies
makes about 36 cookies
 
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1 cup Pumpkin puree
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
 
Icing:
2 cups confectioners sugar
3-4 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; set aside.  In a bowl of stand mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in pumpkin, egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.  Gradually add in flour mixture and mix until combined.
  3. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared cookie sheets, and bake, rotating sheets halfway through, for 15-18 minutes or until edges are firm.  Cool on sheets for 2 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
  4. Once cookies are cooled, in a small bowl combine confectioners sugar, milk, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice.  Mix until smooth and combined.  Transfer into a small plastic bag and snip a corner off.  Drizzle the icing over each cookie.  Let icing set.  

No comments:

Post a Comment