Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Peppermint Cupcakes

Last year I made Peppermint Cupcakes and wanted to make them again.  And wouldn't you know it my favorite sous chef, BP, was coming over for a full day of Christmas fun.  We went down to Annapolis and joined up with Kate and her family to watch the Christmas Boat parade - which was so much fun.  These people went to town decorating their boats in Christmas lights and themes.  My personal favorite was the boat that was decorated in a Christmas Story theme - complete with the leg lamp. 

After a long, amazingly fun day, BP and I came back to my place and relaxed a little, put Elf on and then got to making some cupcakes.  I love that he likes to bake with me.  He keeps impressing me with his kitchen skills and we have a lot of fun while we're baking away.  Then tragedy struck - I was out of cupcake liners.....that never happens. I'm not a fan of cupcake liner-less cupcakes.....not just because of the extra clean up but because the edges get crunchy.  So we sprayed the tin with cooking spray and went on with making the batter. 

separating eggs - he's got skills
Once the batter was ready, into the oven they went.  Now I love Elf, one of the best Christmas movies ever.  My sisters and I quote it all the time.  I did set my timer, but didn't check it when I should of.....and kind of overbaked the cupcakes.  Like the edges are crispy crunchy overbaked.  Fail on my part.  Mental note has been made to get more cupcake liners.  I wasn't happy but decided to frost them anyways once they were cooled. 

some of the cupcakes lost parts of their bottoms
Time to taste them - and yep - overcooked them.  They weren't fluffy and light like they should be.  Needless to say these weren't going to anyone.  Fail on this effort.  Yet I still have them, sitting on my kitchen counter, occasionally trying one to see if they get better the longer they sit in the tupperware - they don't, yet I keep trying.....they really just need to go into the trash. 

No comments:

Post a Comment