Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Almond Sweets

I was flipping through my "Biggest Book Of Cookies" cookbook and I saw this recipe for Almond Sweets.  Now, I love any cookie with Almond flavoring in it.  Brings me right back to childhood at Christmas time making cookies with a cookie press - those were always my favorite cookies.  So I knew that I had to make these.  After getting the news that I need another surgery to remove a bone in my wrist that is pinching my ulnar nerve, I decided that these would be the perfect thing to make me happy. 

The dough is really easy, as are all of the cookies in this book - I highly suggest it.   Once the dough is ready, I scoop it out onto the sheet.....

little balls of dough
.....and bake them until they are golden brown

these smell amazing while
baking in the oven
Once cooled, time to frost them.  I mean really, who doesn't love a cookie with frosting on top?!  I make the icing and dip each cookie in it.  I'm not happy.  The icing was way too thin and not really covering the cookies.  So I made another batch of icing and doubled it.  I really wanted a good coating on the cookies.  And did I ever get it. 

frosted goodness
Once the frosting was set, I of course had to try one.  So good!  I immediately packed them up and dropped most of them off with Heays to deliver to some of my favorite taste testing men.   And they loved them.   Ween had a couple of the small amount that I brought home.  She turns to me while eating one and says "Don't ever make these again unless you want me to eat them all.  They are THAT GOOD."  Ween also shares my love for almond flavored cookies and we talked about the cookies at Christmas from when we were little, but who am I kidding, we still make those cookies at Christmas. 


Almond Sweets
makes about 48 cookies

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
Almond Icing

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats; set aside.  In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt; set flour mixture aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl beat eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla and almond extract with an electric mixer until combined.  Beat in the flour a little at a time until completely mixed.
  3. Drop dough by the teaspoon 1" apart on cookie sheet.  Bake for about 10 minutes until golden.  Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool.  Frost with Almond Icing.
Almond Icing

In a medium bowl stir together 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp almond extract and 2-4 tsps milk to make a smooth, spreadable icing.  If desired, tint with food coloring. 

****I highly suggest doubling the icing recipe so you have a nice thick coating*******

2 comments: