Sunday, May 15, 2011

Double-Fudge Pockets

It had gotten back to me that someone was sad that my sister didn't have treats for him from me.  So I made him these.  I fear no cookie and couldn't resist the sound of these - a chocolate cookie with a fudge center.....its on.  The dough was fairly easy, and once made into the fridge it goes to chill.  Once chilled, it's time to roll it out and cut them with my cookie cutters. 

chocolate discs
Now comes the fun part, taking the filling and spooning some in the center of each cookie.

chocolate with chocolate
Now I take more pre-cut cookies (definitely cut the tops ahead of putting the filling on, makes things easier) and place it on top of the filling and seal the edges of the cookies. 


filled and sealed
Toss those bad boys into the oven and let them bake. 


they puff up nicely
Let cool and then discover the deliciousness.  I think the dough is alright - there is room for improvement....I feel like it's not chocolaty enough.  But the filling is fantastic!! 


a layer of fudge
heaven
These went over very well with my 3 favorite taste testers.  But sadly one of them didn't get any, they were all gone by the time he got into work.  So I promised him some treats this week for him.  I asked if he wanted anything in particular and his response was "Anything you make will be amazing.  You're an artist."  It was highly entertaining.  I love when they give me free reign to make things. 

Double-Fudge Pockets
makes about 30 cookies

1 cup butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Fudge Filling

  1. In a large bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium high speed for 30 seconds.  Add sugar and baking powder, beat until combined.  Beat in whole egg, egg yolk and vanilla until combined.  Beat in cocoa powder and flour until combined.  Divide dough in half.  Cover and chill dough for at least 1 hour, or until easy to handle.  Prepare Fudge Filling and set aside.
  2. Fudge Filling:  In a small saucepan melt 4 oz semisweet chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in 1/2 cup sour cream.  Mixture will stiffen as it cools.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time until 1/8" thick.  Using a 2 1/2" cookie cutter, cut out dough.  Place half of the cutout rounds 1" apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or Silpats.  Spoon a rounded teaspoon (I did a dollop) into the center of each round.  Place remaining rounds over of each of the filled rounds.  Press edges together to seal.
  4. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm.  Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute.  Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. 



No comments:

Post a Comment