Friday, May 6, 2011

Mud Pie Cookies

I wanted to make my OT Therapist something to say thank you, she is by far the best occupational therapist I've ever had.  So I started looking through my cookbooks to see what I should make.  After about 20 minutes of looking, finally I found it - Mud Pie Cookies.   Then I look at the ingredients.....I didn't have everything I needed for it.  And since I had just come back from the grocery store, I was not going back out to get more supplies.  So I changed up the recipe and made it my own :)  And they turned out great!!  I'm toying with the notion of changing it a little the next time I make these, but I did find my new favorite frosting while making these. 

The dough was easy and quite tasty (of course I had to try a little of it).   Once all made, into the fridge it went to chill a couple of hours.


fudgie dough
 Once the dough was chilled, I scooped them out and made a hole with my thumb in each one.  Not really sure why it called for that, but I found that if I dipped my thumb in water the dough wouldn't stick.  Into the oven they go to bake - and the indents I made didn't really stick....oh well.

yum
Once all cooled, I got going on the frosting.  It called for bourbon - not something I generally keep on hand.  But I did have Kahlua and used that instead.  I wasn't too sure how alcohol would taste in a frosting, but oh wow.....it's delicious!! Not too strong and gives it a little hint of something.  Time to frost the cookies.....and they turned out soo good.

fudgie cookie with Kahlua flavored
chocolate chip frosting...oh yes
All that's left is to let the frosting set up a little and then time to eat.  I was eager to try the whole thing together.....it didn't disapoint.  I'm definatley going to change up the recipe a little more next time I make it, I think it could use more chocolate or something....I feel like it's missing something, just not sure what it is yet.  But here's my recipe for what I put together :)

Mud Pie Cookies
Makes about 60 cookies

3/4 cup butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp stong brewed coffee
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
Chocolate Frosting

  1. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.  Add sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder.  Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.  Add coffee, eggs, and vanilla to sugar mixture; beat until combined.  Add flour slowly and beat until combined. Cover and chill dough for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.  Shape dough into 1" balls.  Place balls 2" apart on cookie sheet.  Press your thumb into the center of each cookie (dip your thumb in a bowl of water - makes it much easier)
  3. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are set.  Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.  Make frosting and frost cookies; let frosting dry.
Chocolate Frosting:
1/3 cup butter, room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 cups confectioners sugar
2 tbsp Kahula liquer
1-3 tbsp milk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter and vanilla extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.  Slowly beat in cocoa powder and 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar.  Beat in 2 tbsp Kahula.  Gradually beat in the remaining 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar and milk to make spreading consistency.  Stir in chocolate chips. Frost cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment