Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Brownie Caramel Bit Cupcakes

I was bored, and when that happens I tend to think things up and try them out.  This one was a success.  I had some caramel squares just sitting in my cupboard, and I hate when things just sit there and don't get used.  What could i put them in?  Cookies - done that a lot.  Cake - not in the mood to go to the grocery store and get more butter and sugar.  Brownies?  I checked to see what I would need and saw that I had everything I needed - brownies it was.  But not in a pan - I can't make something for the first time and not try it - so I made them into cupcakes.  Easy, portable, and the perfect serving size.  Plus I want to use up my cute winter snowman cupcake liners while it's still cold out - well somewhat cold out.  Where I live it's been unseasonably warm and I'm not really liking it.  Bring on the cold and snow! 

I chopped up my caramel squares (Kraft kind, individually wrapped) into pieces.  I used what I had left, which was like 12 blocks.  If you want more or less, add what you like.  Once that was done, onto making the batter.  Brownie batters are always easy.  I really love the ones where you don't need a mixer.  This one, however, is not one of those.  I did break out Big Red (my mixer) for it.  Once the batter was all ready, I added the caramel bits and folded them in.  Filled up each cupcake and off into the oven.  20 minutes later, they were ready. 

look at the caramel peeking out!
They are a little crunchy, but really tasty.  Not sure if I left them in a little too long or if my oven was acting up again, but when you bake them I suggest you try 15 minutes and check them from there.  But this one is a good one - you will be pleased if you are a fan of brownies and caramel. 

Brownie Caramel Bit Cupcakes
makes 18 cupcakes

6 tbsp butter
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extracts
12 caramel squares, unwrapped and chopped into bits

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake tins with paper liners. 
  2. Put butter, chocolate and cocoa powder in a microwave safe bowl.  Heat 30 seconds at a time until butter and chocolate have melted.  Stir until smooth and let cool slightly.
  3. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  Put sugar, eggs and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and mix on medium speed until pale, about 4 minutes.  Add chocolate mixture; mix until combined.  Reduce speed to low.  Add flour mixture; mix, scraping down sides of bowl, until well combined.  Stir in caramel bits by hand until well incorporated.
  4. Fill each cupcake 2/3 way full.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, rotating tins halfway through, or until a cake tester inserted into centers comes out with a few crumbs but isn't wet.  Let cool in tins for 5 minutes, then remove and let fully cool on wire racks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment