Friday, January 20, 2012

Guinness-Milk Chocolate Ice Cream

I love beer.  I've always been adventurous in trying beers, looking for my next favorite beer.  With one of my ex-boyfriends we tried a lot of different beers and I really learned the types I liked and the types I wasn't a fan of at all.  Guinness was one of the ones I'm not a fan of at all.  But when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it.  I knew the thickness and unique taste of Guinness would be an amazing pair with the milk chocolate - major points to David Lebovitz for putting this recipe in his book 'The Perfect Scoop' (I highly suggest you get this book.  I said it before - amazing tips on how to make your ice cream better and easier and phenomenal recipes).  I stocked up on what I needed for ingredients - and had to go get Guinness.  My trip to the liquor store was interesting.  I had a good talk with the guy that worked there about the shelf life of Guinness and that I was making ice cream with it - even though it wasn't my favorite beer.  He was amazed that I was making ice cream with it - told me to let him know how it turns out. 

Now all I had to do was line up taste testers for it.  I wasn't going to eat all of this by myself.  And what if I didn't like it? I didn't want to be stuck with it.  Away I went lining people up to try it out - and I soon found out that people were dying to try it once I said what I was making.  I just didn't want to disappoint anyone and was hoping that it would be amazing. 

I set everything up for the ice cream custard base, made sure everything was ready and got going on the custard base.  Before I knew it, I had it chilling in the fridge.  I let it chill overnight and then it was time to fire up Izzy.  Half an hour later - I had ice cream.  And not just good ice cream - amazing ice cream.  First you taste the chocolate, and then the Guinness hits you.  And it's not overpowering at all - just simply amazing.  The flavors work so well together.  I excitedly packed some up for my taste testers and let it freeze.  Then it was time to play treat fairy.  This is always my favorite part of my day - and everyone was so excited to try it out.  And one of my favorite taste tester didn't let me down with her reaction to the ice cream.  She took the lid off of the container and immediately dove in - she looked up at me and said 'phenominal'.  Her reactions are the best - I truly look forward to giving her food each week.  I dropped off the ice cream everywhere and slowly the feedback was getting back to me.  AMAZING!  This is fantastic!  Wow! It's like a Guinness Frosty!  So what are you waiting for?! Go get this book and make this ice cream!! You will not be disappointed at all!! 


hello amazingness

Guinness-Milk Chocolate Ice Cream
makes about 1 quart

7 oz milk chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
4 large egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup Guinness Stout
1 tsp vanilla extract

Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer over the top.

Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.  In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.  Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan. 

Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula.  Pour the custard through the strainer over the milk chocolate, then stir until the chocolate is melted.  Once the mixture is smooth, whisk in the cream, then the Guinness and vanilla.  Stir until cool over an ice bath. 

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufactures instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment