Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cappuccino Bars

There is a strong love of anything Mocha for myself and Heays, Ween not so much.  I have made a lot of mocha things over the years and my list of Mocha items to make is slowly dwindling down.  I had actually forgotten about this one, it didn't sound too appealing actually, so I kept putting off making it.  Well I soon found out that was a mistake.  These bars are fantastic!  Easy to make, extremely tasty, and it was a lesson in not judging a recipe by a lack of a good description.  There have been a lot of things I haven't posted on here, because I didn't think they were that great or something was off about them that I didn't really like.  And if I rant and rave about something, then that means its really special. 

small pieces of heaven
So if you are a Mocha lover - these are a must make.  I'm sure my parents will see this post and ask where theirs is.  It's happening a lot lately - they see something on here and get sad/mad that I didn't give them any of it so I have to make it again for them.  It's kind of funny to me - they once asked me to stop making so much stuff because they couldn't eat it all, now they want something and when I do make it and give it to them sometimes they never finish it.  I'm still working on figuring out this situation. 

Cappuccino Bars
makes 32 bars

Base:
1 tsp instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
2 tsp very hot water
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Espresso Filling:
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
1 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease bottom and sides of 13x9" pan with shortening or cooking spray; lightly flour.  Dissolve 1 tsp espresso powder in 2 tsp hot water.  In small bowl, beat espresso, 1/2 cup butter and granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy.  Beat in flour on low speed.  Add chocolate chips.  Press evenly in pan.
  2. Bake 15-17 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
  3. While base is baking, make filling.  In a medium bowl, beat 1/3 cup butter with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.  Gradually beat in confectioners sugar.  Dissolve 1 tsp espresso powder in 1 tbsp water.  Beat espresso mixture and vanilla into sugar mixture.  Pour filling over hot crust; spread evenly.  Bake 28-33 minutes or until set.  Immediately sprinkle with 1 cup chocolate chips and let sit for 5-10 minutes, until chips are slightly melted.  Take a spatula and spread melted chocolate evenly over the top of the bars.  Let fully cool.  

No comments:

Post a Comment