Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Gingersnap Sticks

Being bored is never a good thing for me.  I tend to like to stay active doing things, I guess that's why I like to bake a lot.  I spend a lot of time online looking for recipes for things, going through all my cookbooks seeing what sounds good today, and lusting after new cookbooks that I really want (I have a large list of these going on my Amazon account - it's not pretty).  I had run out of a few essential things, so I was on a mission to make something that didn't require my missing items - something that actually took up quite a bit of time.  A lot of the things I wanted to make needed my missing items.  I was starting to feel defeated, then I saw it - Gingersnap Sticks.  Bingo.  I read the recipe over a couple of times to make sure that I had everything I needed and I was all set to go.  These are extremely easy to make and only take minutes in the oven - and you can do it all in one batch!  Who doesn't love that?! 

soft and delicious cookies
You will be making these all the time, they are addictive.  And if you want to keep these in the freezer, portion the dough into 4 equal portions and shape into the form of a log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.  They will keep nicely for  a month in the freezer.  Then let thaw and bake away! 

Gingersnap Sticks
makes about 4 1/2 dozen

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup molasses or maple syrup (if you like the stronger flavor use the molasses)
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
4 tsp sugar (optional)

  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.  In a large bowl, mix 1 cup sugar, oil, molasses and egg and mix until well blended.  Add remaining ingredients except 4 tsp sugar.  Mix until combined.
  2. Divide dough into 4 equal portions.  Slightly moisten hands and place each portion of dough on prepared sheet.  Shape each portion into a large strip and flatten each strip with hands or a spatula.  Sprinkle each strip with optional tsp of sugar.
  3. Bake 6-7 minutes or until edges are light golden brown and tops appeared cracked; cool 10 minutes.  Cut each strip crosswise into 1" slices; remove from cookie sheet to wire racks to cool completely.  

No comments:

Post a Comment