Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Chocolate Mint Frosting Cupcakes

I'm trying to balance things out at this point - seeing everyone I can before I move, pack up everything, furniture shop for my new apartment, and of course find myself a job.  The stress is beginning to takes it toll on me.  I can feel myself unraveling and it won't be pretty when I hit the bottom.  Right now I wish I could just pause things and take a huge chunk of time to focus on one thing and then move on to the next.  But this is life and that option isn't possible so I have to multi task and fit it all in at once, and with a little under a month to do it all in.  Sometimes I wish I had a boyfriend who was moving with me, who could help lighten the load and give me the occasional hug and tell me everything will work out and be ok.  But it's just me, and I'm starting my life over in a city I absolutely love and can't wait to get to.  I've crammed a lot on my plate and I'm doing my best to get it all done. 

Of course the one thing that will give me a break is baking.  Although, when I pack up Big Red for the move (which Heay's has so graciously given me - he is technically hers), I will be taking a little break from baking until I'm all settled in at my new home (which is fabulous! The cutest city apartment with great amenities). 
I'm one for trying new things out (this will be the second time I'm moving away.  At least this time I'm staying in the same time zone and wont be thousands of miles away from home like I was in Utah) - and I have yet to find a good mint frosting that isn't over powering, until now.  This is a great frosting.  I highly suggest you try this one out. 

I didn't pipe my frosting this time and went for
some edible glitter to top them off
Chocolate Mint Frosting Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcakes

Cupcakes:
1 cup cocoa powder
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 2/3 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp espresso powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp white vinegar (distilled is ok to use)
1/2 cup butter, melted

Frosting:
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
5 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup milk
pinch of salt

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line standard cupcake tins with paper liners. 
  2. In a small bowl whisk together all dry ingredients and set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla.  Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Add in vinegar and butter and mix until combined. 
  3. Divide batter among the cups, filling each 2/3 full. 
  4. Bake cupcakes 23-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Remove from tins and place on wire racks to cool completely.
  5. Make frosting: Beat together the butter and peppermint extract.  Add confectioner's sugar and milk, beating until light and fluffy.  Pipe or spread frosting on top of each cupcake.  Top with sprinkles, mini chocolate chips or chopped Ande's mints.  

No comments:

Post a Comment