Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Oreo Bars

I have a taste tester who isn't really a chocolate fan.  When I make things that are heavy in the chocolate department, I always make her something different.  What can I say, I am to please.  This was made just for her - and she loved it.  Sometimes I worry that I'm handing out duds - and there have been some misses.  Some things haven't even left my house and have quickly met the trash can.  I never worry when I bring her things - she is brutally honest with me and always dives right in to what I give her upon my arrival. 

tastes like a Butterfingers
These are easy and will freeze great - just wait to add the chocolate/Oreo layer until you're ready to eat them.  A quick, tasty treat in under 30 minutes. 

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Oreo Bars
makes 20 bars

1/3 cup peanut butter (use whatever kind you like, crunchy will add great texture)
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 egg
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
8 Oreos, chopped into chunks
Topping:
1 cup white melting chocolate
8 Oreos, chopped into chunks
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray an 8x8x2" baking pan with cooking spray and set aside. 
  2. In a medium mixing bowl beat peanut butter and butter with electric mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.  Add brown sugar, baking soda and salt.  Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed.  Beat in egg, milk and vanilla.  Add in flour, and then oats.  Stir in chopped Oreos. 
  3. Spread batter in prepared baking dish and pat evenly into pan.  Bake 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool completely on wire rack. 
  4. Melt white chocolate in microwave safe dish 30 seconds at a time.  Stir until smooth.  Quickly pour and spread chocolate evenly over top of cooled bars.  Top with chopped Oreos and place in fridge 15 minutes for chocolate to set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment