Monday, August 13, 2012

Rice Krispie Treat S'mores Bars

Wouldn't you know it - my oven has crapped out on me.  Usually this would send me into a tizzy, freaking out over baking.  But since my move is rapidly approaching and most of my stuff is packed away, it didn't bother me at all.  My oven has decided that if you use it for more than 20 minutes it's going to do what it wants - it ruined 4 batches of brownies.  All were burned on top and completely raw in the middle and the oven was at the right temperature (I did a digital reading).  So instead of having a meltdown, I took this as a sign that it would be the end of my baking and do some no bake treats for the last days of my taste testers.  And this one combines two of my favorite childhood treats - s'mores and rice krispie treats.  I mean could it get any better?! I think not. 

oh hello new favorite
Even if you don't consider yourself to be a baker, try these.  Ready in about 10 minutes and then you just put them in the fridge to set.  I will warn you now that these are addicting - highly addicting.  They will be made repeatedly. 

Rice Krispie Treat S'mores Bars
makes 2 dozen bars

8 whole graham crackers
1 stick of butter (8 tbsp), divided
1/4 cup sugar
6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
1 bag (10 oz) mini marshmallows (divided)
1 6 pack package of Hershey Bars
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a 13x9 or two 8x8 pans with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray (Pam).  Line bottom of dish with graham crackers, cutting as necessary to fit the pan.

In a large saucepan, heat 6 tbsp butter and sugar until butter melts and mixture starts to bubble.  Pour over graham crackers and spread evenly.  Bake until sugar bubbles, 7-10 minutes.  Remove from oven and immediately top with Hershey Bars, cutting to fit.  Let stand for 3 minutes or until chocolate starts to melt and then spread so there is an even layer of chocolate.

Meanwhile, return same saucepan to burner.  Add remaining 2 tbsp butter and all but 1 cup of mini marshmallows.  Cook, stirring frequently, until well mixed and marshmallows melt.  Stir in cereal until well incorporated.  Pour rice cereal mixture over warm chocolate layer, pressing on mixture to evenly distribute.  Sprinkle top with remaining marshmallows and chocolate chips, pressing to adhere.  Refrigerate to set.  

No comments:

Post a Comment