Thursday, August 2, 2012

Homemade Frosty's

I will always have a soft spot for Frosty's from Wendy's.  I still occasionally get them and they always make me happy.  I came across this recipe and couldn't of been happier. The fact that I could now make them at home and have it taste just like it came from Wendy's was all I needed to hear.  I'm going to tell you that it makes a lot - like 3 batches worth.  If you're like me and have an ice cream maker that you need to freeze over 24 hours in between each use, don't worry - the base keeps nicely in the fridge.  Just make sure you cover it tightly with plastic wrap. 

I wish I had a video of me making this - it was one of those times where I ended up with chocolate all over me and the kitchen counter.  And when I say this makes a lot - I mean it.  Like take out your biggest pot that you make pasta in and use that.  It came to the top of my pot - and this was after I changed bowls 3 times......so trust me when I say use the biggest thing you have, and if you think it will hold it, it wont - go bigger.  Aside from that, it's so simple.  Toss everything in the bowl, mix it all together and then pour it into the ice cream machine and freeze it!! 

Don't over churn it - this isn't going to be thick and creamy like a normal ice cream will be.  Start checking on it at 15 minutes.  15-20 minutes is all you need.  It should be loose and creamy.  If you over churn it, it kind of breaks apart - yes, I over churned my first batch :( 

over churned, but tasty - and added some Oreos too
Festive - with chocolate chips and sprinkles
Homemade Frosty's
serves 16-20

(1) 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 gallon chocolate milk
(1) 12 oz container Cool Whip - if you can find the Chocolate flavor use that, if not regular is what I used
large pinch of salt

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together.  You will need to churn this in multiple batches.  Fill ice cream maker 2/3 full and freeze.  Repeat process with remaining liquid.  

No comments:

Post a Comment