Friday, March 11, 2011

Chocolate Mousse

Here is another one from AD.  Chocolate Mousse has always been one of my favorites.  Now if you're thinking I can make a great one from a box mix, please don't.  They never seem to turn out right.  I don't know if it's just me, but if its super easy and comes from a box, I always mess it up.  I can't even make instant pudding - I'm not kidding. My sisters have banned me from ever making it again - it turns out too thin or runny....how can I mess it up?!  All you do is add milk and stir.  But yet I somehow mess it up.  So no more instant things for me, always make it from scratch.  So here's an easy mousse recipe :)

Dessert: friendly enough for a gluten intolerant friend.  I started out making a flourless chocolate torte but it was a new recipe and it wasn't a trusted source.  After 30 minutes in the oven, I knew something was wrong so I decided to abandoned it and go with something I knew was fail proof…..hmmm….bananas foster or chocolate moussse?  I went with the mousse.  This is one of the easiest mousse recipes ever:
3 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60% cacao)
3 eggs, room temperature, separated
2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream

Melt chocolate in doublle boiler.  Remove bowl from water, add yolks and whisk.  In mixer, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt to soft peaks.  Gradually add 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar.  Beat constantly until medium, firm, glossy peaks form.  Fold 1/4 cup of beaten whites into the chocolate mixture until incorporated and then fold in the rest of the whites. Divide among four bowls, cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.  Before serving, beat heavy cream with 1 teaspoon sugar until peaks form.  Top mousse with cream, garnish with berries or shaved chocolate.

mmmm....mousse!! Light
and fluffy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment