Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chocolate Shortbread Fingers

I found this recipe when I was looking at the recipe for Cinnamon-Raisin Bread.  I do love shortbread, and clearly I'm a chocolate lover, so why not give this one a try?!  I pulled out my Martha Stewart's "Baking Handbook" Cookbook and got to work early this morning.  I love baking in the morning....puts me at ease and makes my day start off great.  I had my breakfast (coffee and fresh cinnamon-raisin bread) and was ready to get my bake on. 

My stand mixer is always waiting for me on the kitchen counter, ready to go.  I pull it out and toss some butter (lots of it actually - this is a shortbread recipe after all), add some sugar and let it get all fluffy.  I love when you mix butter and sugar together and it gets fluffy, I'm not really sure why, but it always is really cool to me.  Once everything is all mixed together,



yummy dough

I put the dough in a pan and stick it in the freezer to firm up. 

chilled dough
Now, I don't know if I wasn't really paying attention to the time or if the news just sucked me in this morning, but I let it stay in the freezer a little too long - which wasn't a problem.  It only took 10 more minutes to bake because it was that cold.  Next time I will set a timer, or put it in the fridge to chill instead of the freezer. 
They turned out looking great! Once they are all baked, I cut them into pieces and then sprinkled some sugar on top and let fully cool.

not the prettiest things ive done
OK - maybe I got a little carried away with the sugar - not on purpose. I go meet Heay's for lunch and then she brings them in for the boys she works with.  They didn't last long - for once they see her with treats from me, they get excited.  And they know I love feedback - and they all told Heays to tell me they were great!
So if you are looking for a quick treat that doesn't take a lot of time or effort, this one is a winner :)

Chocolate Shortbread Fingers
makes 22 fingers

3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
2 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour
4 1/2 tbsp dutch process cocoa powder
heaping 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup superfine sugar
granulated sugar, for sprinkling

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Butter a 12x8" rimmed baking sheet, and line with parchment paper, leaving a 1" overhang on long sides; set aside.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda until combined.
  2. In an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat the butter and superfine sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl.  Add flour mixture, and beat on medium speed until just combined. 
  3. Using a small offset spatula, evenly spread dough in prepared baking sheet.  Chill in the freezer or refrigerator until dough is firm, about 15 minutes.  Prick dough all over with a fork; bake until just firm to the touch, about 20 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack.  While still hot, use a large knife to cut shortbread into 4x1" pieces.  Sprinkle with granulated sugar.  Cool completely in the pan. 

2 comments:

  1. Nope - this was the last of my saved posts. My goal is today or tomorrow to get back in the kitchen and bake! My stand mixer is calling my name! I truly do miss baking. So keep your eye out for new posts! :)

    ReplyDelete