Friday, July 8, 2011

Lemon Cake with Lemon Icing

Summer is here!! Yay!! So why not have some posts about summery baked goods?  I love cake or cookies with lemon in them and one of my very good friends said that his mom had an amazing recipe for lemon cake when I was talking about making some Lemon Squares.  I emailed his mom and she gave me the recipe - I'm a huge fan of it.  It's really easy and quick - and extremely delicious. 

I had gotten the recipe the night before, so I read it over and made a mental list of the supplies I would need to get.  The next morning off I went to the grocery store to get what I needed and then came home and got to baking. 

This literally comes together in seconds.  Add it all together and put it in the pan and off it goes into the oven.

mmm...cake
Clearly I'm having issues with my oven working properly.  I ended up turning down the temperature and taking it out early - but I don't think your cake should turn out this dark - maybe just a golden brown and not a dark tan.  Now comes the fun part - poking holes all over that bad boy while it's still warm with a fork.  Away I went stabbing the cake (gently of course) and then made the icing real quick......then I poured it all over the top.

not sure why I had a divot
I stuck the cake in the fridge and an hour later cut into it once it had cooled all the way.  She had told me that it was moist (and honestly who doesn't love a moist cake?) and was it ever!!  I ended up eating 2 pieces of it!  Then I packed some up and off I went to deliver some to my 3 favorite guy taste testers.  When I got there, one of them looked at what I brought and said "I can tell just by looking at these that it's going to be good".  Then he took a bite and said "Soo good".  Look at this.......

moist and delicious
.......doesn't it make you want some?!

Lemon Cake with Lemon Icing


Cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 package instant lemon pudding
4 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 13"x9" pan.  Mix everything together in bowl until smooth.  Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. 

Icing:
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 cups confectioners sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
3 tbsp water

Whisk everything together until smooth.  Poke holes all over cake while still warm.  Pour icing all over cake. 

Keep cake in fridge for best flavor. 




No comments:

Post a Comment