Friday, October 21, 2011

Blue Velvet Cupcakes

I didn't know there was such a thing as this until my sisters friend had asked me to make it for her.  She said the color is the hardest thing to get right - and after making this I totally see why.  It's very similar to Red Velvet, but the color is different and there's not as much cocoa powder in the recipe and the frosting has marshmallow in it along with the cream cheese.  The thing I was most worried about was the color.  It took all of the blue food coloring I had (and I had to make more blue out of my remaining colors) - it was such a pretty blue. I was happy.  And then I added the cocoa mixture - and happiness went away.  My beautiful blue batter turned into a bright green! 

of course I was freaking out!
After they were all scooped out and I put them in the oven, I reminded myself that they will change color while they bake - hopefully they would come out more blue than green.  But look at the color of those things - who was I kidding?! 20 minutes later, time to take them out.......

not blue like they should be
.....ok, so they turned out a weird shade of green with some blue in it.  My only worry was that J would be unhappy with the color.  Once they were all cooled, time to make the frosting.  Easy frosting, put it in a ziplock bag and piped away.

pretty cupcake
Time for her birthday party....Heays and I go and bring in her cupcakes.  J was so happy.....we laughed a little about the color and I told her my story and showed her pics, it was a good laugh.  She handed some out to everyone, but most importantly J was happy with how they tasted.  That made me happy :) If I make these again, I will be using more than 2 oz of blue food coloring.

Blue Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes or two 9" cakes

Cake:
2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 oz blue food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vinegar

Frosting:
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 cup Fluff
1 (1 pound) box confectioners sugar

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake tins with paper liners or if making a cake, grease and flour cake pans.
  2. In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, mix until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs 1 at a time and mix well after each addition.  Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well.  Sift together flour and salt.  Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.  Blend in vanilla.  In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture.
  3. Pour batter into pans.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Remove from heat and cool completely before frosting.
  4. Frosting: Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl.  Add marshmallows and sugar and blend.  Frost your cake or cupcakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment