Monday, October 24, 2011

Homemade Oreos

I was talking with one of my friends a couple months ago about these, and I'm finally getting around to them.  These are simple to make - but I'm going to warn you - they are huge!  Much bigger than an Oreo and if you try to make them smaller they just don't come out right (yes I tried all different types of sizes and baking times on this).  So stick with the original size and you will get a nice giant soft cookie with delicious filling in between. I might of pressed down too hard to flatten them, I will try again next time to make them not so flat and maybe they wont turn out so huge.  I'm a dunker with my Oreos so this was heaven for me.  They were soft and I needed no milk to dunk them in.  I seriously couldn't wait to hand these out to people. 

I couldn't wait to try one!
Since I was convinced I pressed down too hard, I made them again over the weekend.  And my Dad was extremely happy about this. I made the dough and scooped them all out and instead of pressing down with a glass I used my hand and lightly pressed the tops down to flatten them.  Into the oven they went........


not ginormous this time
.....and I was so happy to pull them out of the oven and see them the right size!! Time to fill once all cooled. 


still a good size cookie :)
Everyone was excited to eat them, especially my Dad.  He asked if I was going to take any home with me, I said no.....he got very excited.  I learned my lesson with the cupcakes I made for him to not take things home when it's something he loves - if I do then I just have to make him more :)   
These are easy to make, so don't be scared off by them.  I promise you, when I say something is easy - it's easy.  If it's hard or there are a ton of steps to it, I tend not to post the recipe for it since I know most of you wont try it out.  I suggest making these - and you will want to make them again and again.  It will become a staple in your cookie recipes. 
Homemade Oreos
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for flattening cookies
10 tbsp (1 1/4 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 large egg, room temperature
Vanilla Cream Filling

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.  In a bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream sugar butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add egg; beat to combine.  With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture; continue beating until dough is well combined.
  3. Using a 1 1/4" cookie scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheets about 2" apart.  Dip bottom of a glass in sugar; press to flatten cookies to about 1/8" thick.  (You may need to carefully remove dough from glass with a thin metal spatula). 
  4. Bake cookies until edges are firm, 10-12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.  Transfer to cooling racks to cool completely. 
  5. Place cream filling in a pastry bag and pipe 1 tbsp of filling onto the flat side of half the cookies.  Place remaining cookies on top, and gently press on each to squeeze filling to edges. 
Vanilla Cream Filling:
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract

With an electric mixer, cream butter and shortening until well combined.  On low speed, gradually add confectioners sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Add vanilla and beat to combine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment