Chocolate Caramel Delights
makes about 36 cookies
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
16 vanilla caramels
3 tbsp whipping cream
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening
- In a small bowl combine flour, cocoa powder and salt; set flour mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla until combined. Add flour mixture and mix until well combined. Cover and chill dough about 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats. Shape dough into 1" balls. Place balls 1" apart on cookie sheet and press your thumb into the center of each ball. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are firm.
- In a small saucepan heat and stir caramels and whipping cream over low heat until mixture is smooth. Spoon some melted caramel mixture into indentation of each cookie. Allow to set.
- In a small bowl melt chocolate pieces and shortening in microwave, 30 seconds at a time until melted. Stir until smooth and then transfer warm mixture to a plastic bag. Close bag and cut a small part off one of the corners. Drizzle cookies with chocolate and let set.