Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Chocolate Caramels

We all know that 2 of my most favorite things in this world are chocolate and caramel.  And when you put them together, watch out.  It's Rolo season at my parents house right now - they don't last very long between my dad and me.  I saw this recipe and my first thought was I'm going to be in trouble when I make it and love it.  And I was right.  This is like a Riesen candy.  Chocolaty, caramely and chewy. 

hello my new friends!
This is really easy to make, which is a bonus. All you need is 20 minutes of your time and a candy thermometer.  Use a medium size saucepan - it does boil up and takes up most of the pot once it gets going.  Pour it in a pan and let cool fully and then cut into bite sized pieces.  I packaged mine up in fun holiday bags to give out to people in.  Everyone loved it - I'm pretty sure I need to make it again for my parents who didn't get any. 

Chocolate Caramels

Line an 8" square pan with foil and brush with oil.  Melt 2 sticks butter in a saucepan, then add 2 cups sugar, 1 1/4 cups light corn syrup, a 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk and 1/4 cup cocoa powder.  Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reaches 248 degrees, about 15 minutes.  Pour into prepared pan and let cool.  Cut into squares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment