Friday, August 26, 2011

Chewy Chocolate Mint Cookies

Being on a baking roll this week, I found this easy cookie recipe while searching through my huge stack of cookbooks.  It seems to be growing and I fear that one day they will topple over on the table and it will be a bad scene.  Must look into getting a book stand or something for them in the kitchen so they don't take up so much space on the table.  I skimmed the recipe real quick, I didn't have everything I needed for it, but I could change it up and improvise a little - and I was pretty happy with how they turned out. 

You don't even need your mixer for this one - just a bowl and a spatula.  Who doesn't love recipes like that?  Truly means they are quick and easy.  Once the dough was all ready, it just needed 30 min to chill in the fridge.  Then I scooped them out and rolled the dough into balls and baked away. 

naked cookies
Once all cooled comes the fun part of frosting them and then drizzling chocolate on them.  The frosting was super simple and easy (and I didn't get any green food coloring on me this time).  Frosted each cookie and then it was time to melt the chocolate.  Once it was ready, i put it in a plastic bag and cut the corner and drizzled away.  I always like doing this part - I find it really fun and you don't need any artistic ability to do it (which I clearly don't have if you saw my last post about my dad's birthday cake). 

pretty :)
Feedback from taste testers was good.  I might change up the cookie next time I make them, but they are pretty tasty :)  A pretty, chewy version of a Grasshopper cookie.

Chewy Chocolate Mint Cookies
makes 25 - 40 cookies
(depending on how big you make them)

Cookies:
4 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
1 large egg
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp peppermint extract

Peppermint Frosting:
1 cup confectioners sugar
few drops of green food coloring
few drops of peppermint extract
2 tbsp boiling milk
3 oz semi sweet chocolate, melted for drizzling

  1. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a microwave safe bowl and stir until smooth.  Whisk in the egg and sugar and mix until incorporated.  Stir in flour, baking powder and peppermint extract until well combined.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm enough to handle. 
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.  Roll the mixture into teaspoon sized balls or larger and place on prepared sheets.   Bake 8-10 minutes, or until firm and slightly wrinkled.  Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
  3. Make frosting:  Place confectioners sugar in a small bowl and add the food coloring, peppermint extract and milk and stir until smooth.  Taste and adjust if necessary.  Place small dollops of frosting in the centers of cookies and spread using a small spatula or knife.  Drizzle melted chocolate over the top of each cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment