Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sugar cookies with a little something extra

I survived Hurricane Irene and only lost power for a couple of hours Sunday night.....even though by the time it got to where I lived it was a Tropical Storm, it still did some damage.  Lots of trees and wires are down.  Most of the people in my town still don't have power and might not get power back until the end of the week, my parents are in that group.  So yesterday I was trying to figure out what to bake, thinking that it had to be something with the bag of Reese's Pieces I had in the cabinet that has been taunting me for a week now to use it in something.  Should I make brownies and put them in there?  Done that a ton of times.  Should I make chocolate chip cookies and use the Pieces instead of chips?  Wasn't feeling right.  My sisters kept telling me if I wasn't going to use them for baking they would help me out by eating them.  I was going to use them for baking.....its what I bought them for and that's what I'm going to use them for.  So Ween had suggested that I make sugar cookies and put them in the cookie.  On top of the cookie or in the batter I asked - either she said.  So I thought about it and it sounded like a good idea.  Plus, I love a good sugar cookie, and why not kick it up a little with something fun in it. 

Now if you want to make a straight up amazing sugar cookie, don't add the Reese's Pieces to this and when you scoop them out on the cookie sheet, flatten them a little and then brush the tops of each cookie with milk and then sprinkle with sugar.  You will have an amazing cookie when they come out of the oven.  And depending on what size cookie scoop you use will determine how many cookies you get - the bigger the cookie scoop, the smaller the yield is.  I like to use my 1 1/2" cookie scoop - it's the standard size cookie scoop and I use it for everything. 

I scoop out the cookies and away they go into the oven.  About 12 minutes later I had cookies out of the oven and smelling so good. 

cookies everywhere
Easy, simple recipe that doesn't take a lot of time.  Add what you want to this recipe - sugar cookies go well with any candy/topping that you want to add in, it's a very easy going cookie.

Sugar Cookies


3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, room temp
2 large eggs
1 tbsp milk
1 bag Reese's Pieces

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
  2. Put sugars in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Mix on medium speed for 30 seconds.  Add butter; mix until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute.  Mix in eggs one at a time, and then the milk.  Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture.  Add Reese's Pieces and mix until well distributed.
  3. Scoop out dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheets.  Bake cookies until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.  Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool completely.  Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment