Monday, August 1, 2011

Surgery, my birthday and the road to recovery

It was a busy week last week.  I got surgery to remove a floating bone in my wrist that was pinching my ulnar nerve.  I also got it the day before my birthday - I was giving myself the best birthday present ever....a new hand.  Well that's what I was hoping for.  Surgery went well, the bone is now gone, the nerve is moved and of course I had some arthritis in there as well.  So I celebrated my birthday on my couch in a soft cast and taking some good pain killers.  Friday I got to take the soft cast off and go into a heavy duty brace....this also allowed me to see my stitches when I had to change out my bandage......the scar is huge.  Way bigger than I thought it would be.  It's about an 1 1/2" long on my wrist - and the bruise that is coming in is just as disgusting as the scar itself. 

Because I wasn't fully with it on my birthday to celebrate it with my family, we waited until Sunday to celebrate it.  It was an excellent day, and I got awesome presents.  I didn't ask for much - of course baking supplies were included in it.  And I got the cookbook I've been waiting for - Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts.  I of course have already flagged everything I want to make in the book, and pretty much over half of the book is flagged for things to make right away....other things are going to be saved for when holidays and occasions roll around. 

cookbooks!
I also got a fun cookbook about making cupcakes cute - and of course there is a penguin one in there that Ween has requested I make for her birthday.  I have to admit - it is really cute. If you've got kids this book is great for when they celebrate things. 

I go back to see my doctor on Friday and will get my stitches out then and see what's going on.  I'm hoping that this is the beginning of the end for me.  It's been a long road to this point (3 years out of work) and I'm ready to get back into things.  And a lot of my friends have been saying that it's time for me to start my baking career and I'm really thinking about it a lot.  I have accepted the fact that my massage career is over, I still can't feel half of my elbow and with this new scar on my wrist/palm, it has become clear that it's time to move on to the next phase of my life.  The question is do I open my own place or start it out of my kitchen and work my way from there?  Not really sure, but lots of thinking to do.  And I'm hoping to get back to baking next week.  I've got a huge list of things to make - and now it's gotten longer thanks to my new birthday presents :)

No comments:

Post a Comment