It was fairly easy and the cake batter came together quickly. I did notice however that it was a giant lump of batter - and when i spread it in the pan it didn't spread well at all. And it was super sticky and I couldn't get it level. After minutes of trying and arguing with the cake, I finally had enough and decided to put it into the oven as it was (it looked like it had little peaks all over it, and some holes as well) figuring that the batter would spread and bake nicely. 15 minutes later when I took it out of the oven I got a rude awakening. It pretty much stayed exactly the same - except puffier.
I didn't let it bother me too much since I knew I would be covering it with 2 layers of frosting. I let it cool and when it was time I got to work on the peppermint frosting. Easy enough, but my only thought was a tablespoon of mint was way too much, but I put it in because that's what it called for. Over the cake it went and I spread it evenly out and let it set before I put the chocolate one on top of it. Once all set, I made the chocolate frosting and threw that layer on as well and let the cake set up yet again.
Enough time had passed and it was time to finally cut into it and try one. I cut a row and make squares and begin to take the first one out - and that's when I see it.....peppermint frosting. Peppermint frosting oozing out from the middle layer! And not just a little - everywhere!
|it shouldn't be oozing like that|
At this point I'm laughing so hard - and as I scoop out the infected squares to throw away all I can smell is peppermint.
|sick squares getting tossed |