Friday, September 23, 2011

Nutmeg Softies

If you want your house to smell like fall, these cookies are the ones to make.  My house smelled amazing when I made these. And if you are a fan of nutmeg, then these are the cookies for you.  And to make things even better, this cookie is extremely easy to make.  The batter for this cakey cookie comes together quickly, and then you let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.  The recipe said to roll it out and cut it into shapes, but I didn't feel like doing that.  So I just scooped it out with my cookie scoop and it worked out great.  I highly suggest this way.  But if you want to roll it out and cut the cookies into shapes, go for it.  :)  I wasn't in the mood to do that yesterday, so I just scooped them out and baked them off. 

I wasn't prepared for the amazing smell these would have baking.  When I went to rotate the cookie sheets the first time, I was amazed.  Quickly my whole house smelled like fall and I was loving it.  Then when they came out and cooled a little, I had to try one.  Delicious.  And I knew Ween would love them since they're cakey cookies.

yummies
I was a little worried handing these out since they are a little bit different for a cookie, but everyone loved them.  I highly suggest these if you are looking for something different or a good fall cookie. 

Nutmeg Softies
makes about 32 cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups all purpose flour

  1. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.  Add sugar, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.  Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.  Beat in sour cream, egg and vanilla until combined.  Add in flour and beat until combined (dough will be sticky).  Divide dough into 3 equal portions.  Cover and chill dough about 2 hours or until easy to handle. 
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.  On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of the dough at a time until 1/4" thick.  Using a floured 3" cookie cutter, cut into desired shapes.  Place 1" apart on prepared cookie sheet. 
  3. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are golden.  Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment