Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mocha Cookies

I was in the mood to make some cookies, so I started flipping through my 'Biggest Book of Cookies' and saw this recipe.  One half is a chocolate chip, the other half is coffee, making a mocha cookie.  When I saw that this doesn't need to chill or get rolled or anything like that, I was all over this cookie.  And I must say, they are really tasty!

mmmmm...mocha cookies
I enjoyed making this cookie.  The dough is extremely easy and then you get to split the dough in half and add chocolate chips to one half and some cocoa powder and cream into the other half.  Then you scoop out about 3/4 tsp of each dough and place side by side on a baking sheet and press together.

I had fun smooshing the
doughs together
Off into the oven they go to bake, and they don't take long.  8 minutes later you have this.......

yum
......I thought that maybe they could use a mocha glaze.  The recipe doesn't call for one, but I wouldn't be sure if it would need it until I tried one when they were cooled.  An hour later I take a bite of one.  They are really good!! But for some reason I was obsessed with making a mocha glaze for these, so that's what I did.  And wouldn't you know it when I put that glaze in a plastic bag and went to top each cookie the bag broke on me - again!  This time I quickly got out my pastry gun and finished frosting the cookies.  Lesson learned - if you use cheap plastic bags (I have store brand for the small bags), don't use them as a pastry bag.  The things I do so I don't have to wash another dish sometimes.  I love these cookies!  I will absoluetly make them again!  With or without a mocha glaze, they are delicious.  :)

Mocha Cookies
makes about 48 cookies

2 tbsp insant coffee crystals
3 tbsp light cream or half and half
1 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.  In a small bowl stir together instant coffee crystals and 1 tbsp of light cream until crystals dissolve; set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.  Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.  Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.  Beat in the coffee mixture, egg and vanilla until combined.  Beat in flour until combined.
  3. Divide dough in half.  Stir the remaining 2 tbsps light cream and cocoa powder into one portion and stir chocolate chips into the remaining plain dough portion.  Spoon a scant teaspoon of each dough sidge by side onto prepared cookie sheets.  Press doughs together. 
  4. Bake for 8-9 minutes or until just set.  Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute.  Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment