Thursday, September 1, 2011

Crisp Coconut and Chocolate Pie

My Martha Stewart's Pies & Tarts cookbook was taunting me - so last night I sat down and flipped through it again and was looking at the ones I had marked off to make and saw this one.  Incredibily easy and best of all - gluten free!!  It's only got 4 ingredients and anyone can do this one - even if you weren't blessed with the baking gene.  All you need is some butter, lots of coconut, chocolate and some heavy cream and you will have this......

.....now doesn't this look good?!

Since I still don't have a food processor (been getting by using my hands and have no complaints about it) I did the first part by hand, which is to combine the butter and some of the coconut together until it forms a ball.  Then you add the rest of the coconut to the mixture and mix by hand. Press it into your pie tin and bake away. 

toasted crust
Once cooled, heat up the cream and put your chocolate in a heat proof bowl (I still cringe at the thought of losing my green bowl because I melted it accidently).  Let it sit for 10 minutes and then stir it all together until smooth.  Pour it into the crust and let set up in the fridge.  My sisters came home and asked what that beautiful thing was in the fridge and when can they have some.  I made it last night when they were out so it will have to wait until they get home today to try some.   But I cut myself a small piece.....

forgive the appearance, I dropped it
when I picked it up out of the pan
......and it is sooo good.  Chocolatey and coconuty....delicious.  So if you need something and are in a quick pinch - go for this one!  :) 

Crisp Coconut and Chocolate Pie
makes one 9" pie

For the crust:
4 tbsp butter, softened
11 oz (6 cups) sweetened shredded coconut
For the filling:
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
8 oz bittersweet chocolate

  1. Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a food processor, process butter and one-third of coconut until mixture forms a ball, 1-2 minutes.  Transfer to a medium bowl.  Sprinkle remaining two-thirds coconut over mixture, and combine with your fingers.
  2. Place a 9" pie plate on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet. Press coconut mixture into bottom and up sides of pan to form a crust, leaving top edges loose and fluffy.  Place a foil ring over edge to prevent burning.  Bake until center begins to brown, 10-15 minutes; remove foil, and bake until edges are browned, 4-6 minutes more.  Transfer crust to a wire rack to cool completely.
  3. Make the filling:  Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan; pour over chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl.  Let sit 10 minutes, then stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is combined.  Pour into coconut crust.  Refrigerate until filling is set, 1 hour or up to 1 day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment