Friday, September 9, 2011

The un-named, amazing cookie

I was looking at my daily email update from My Baking Addiction and saw that she did a recipe for Turtle Cookies.  I went and looked at it and printed it out.  I have never been a fan of nuts in my desserts - ever.  When I go out and I see that a dessert has nuts I always ask for it without them, and if the nuts are in the dessert itself, I have to make another selection.  I don't know why this is, it's always baffled me - I hate Peanut M&M's, Snickers Bars, anything like that - I just can't do it.  So I will never make anything that has nuts in it.  Unless it's for my dad - he loves nuts in his desserts (he's the only one so it doesn't happen a lot).  I printed out the recipe and got to wondering what I could do to fix up this recipe and make it my own.  It's a great recipe to start with - I highly suggest you make it the way it is.  I made a few minor tweaks to make it more in my favor and off the grocery store to get supplies.

I get there and my plan was to get mini Rolo's and some Heath Bar bits for some crunch.  I got the Heath Bar bits not problem, but then I went on a long search for the mini Rolo's.  Now, I don't know about you, but I remember when stores didn't put out holiday items until a couple weeks before the holiday.  Yeah - there's Halloween stuff out already! And has been for weeks!  I remember when you wouldn't see it until the end of September - and now Christmas stuff is out before Thanksgiving!! Something has gone wrong with this if you ask me.  Back to my search for mini Rolo's.......I round the aisle and then I see it - Halloween candy.  Tons of Halloween candy.  I knew that somehow my search would end in vain and I wouldn't be able to find what I needed.  I searched for a good 5 minutes, going over every shelf twice, thinking if that item would work.  But I kept going back to Milk Duds.  Now I love Milk Duds - it's like a Rolo just in a different shape.  It was a little bigger size than what I wanted, and I stood there in the middle of the aisle arguing with myself if they will work or not and should I just get them.  I decide to get them and I leave the store immediately so I don't keep looking for something else to replace the Milk Duds.

I get home and make the dough then put it in the fridge to chill for 24 hours.  The next morning comes and I get to scooping out cookies.  You can make them huge like she does on the web site, or normal size like I did.  It's a lot of dough so it makes a lot of cookies.  Great if you're having a party or get together or need to make something for someone.  Away I go scooping out cookies and baking them off.  The whole time I'm wondering in my head what I'm going to call these things.  I put it out of Facebook to my friends to help me name the cookies.  I got a couple funny ones and a good one - I'm still waiting to hear back from some of my taste testers on their feedback and a name.  And I picked up a new taste tester yesterday - which has me really excited.  I don't know if people think I'm kidding or not when I put it out on Facebook that I need more taste testers - I really honestly mean it.  And when people take me up on it, they are surprised that I actually follow through.  My poor family can't take eating everything all the time.  I bake - a lot - and honestly I give most of it away and keep a couple for my family.  So yes, I'm always looking for taste testers and if you live near me and want to be one, get in touch with me. 

Cookies are done and cooled and I try one.......

oh yeah - delicious
......and I was so happy with how they turned out.  The toffee bits added the crunch that the nuts would of offered so I was happy with that switch.  I pack some up and go off and be treat fairy.  People were so happy for cookies!  And the feedback I got from Heay's coworkers was great.  And one of them said it was the best thing I've ever made - his favorite by far.  Still not sure on the name, but the front runner so far is Candy Sensations.  If you've got a suggestion for a name please let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment