Thursday, May 17, 2012

Whoppers Cookies

Ween has a deep love for Whoppers - I liken it to my love of Rolo's.  I'm not really a fan of Whoppers, I could have one or two from a box and be happy for months, maybe even a year, before I would want another one again. But when I see a recipe for something with them in it, my first thought is always Ween. I had come across a Whopper Brownie recipe and knew I would make that.  Then I saw the cookies and knew I had to make them as well.  Which one to make first?!  The cookies were easier and I had everything for them, where as I didn't have everything I needed for the brownies and didn't really feel like getting in my car and going to the grocery store - cookies it is!! 

Whopper goodness
Ween gets home from work and sees the racks of cookies cooling on the kitchen counter.  When she asked what they were, I said Whopper Cookies.  She came out and got all excited, eyes all wide, and asked if she would get any.  I said yes but they weren't done yet.  I still needed to melt some chocolate and top them off with more crushed Whoppers.  This made her excited.  Maybe a little anxious to try them, she couldn't wait for the chocolate to finish setting fully before she tried one.  I knew she was a happy camper when she turned to me and asked if they were all going to taste testers, because they really aren't that good and we should keep them all for her to eat.  I told her nice try and yes they were going away to taste testers.  But she has Whoppers Brownies to look forward to. 

Whoppers Cookies
makes about 40 cookies

1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup instant malted milk powder
1 cup coarsely chopped Whoppers (a large box works perfectly)
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp hot water

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.  In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.  Add sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.  Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed.  Beat in eggs, vanilla, cocoa powder and milk.  Add flour and malted milk powder and mix until combined.  Stir in chopped Whoppers.
  2. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 1" apart onto prepared cookie sheets.  Bake, rotating halfway through, 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm.  Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. 
  3. Place chocolate chips and water in a microwave safe bowl and melt, 30 seconds at a time, until chocolate is melted.  Stir until smooth.  Top each cookie with chocolate and top with a couple pieces of chopped Whoppers.  Let chocolate set.  

1 comment:

  1. You say to stir in flour but don't have it listed on ingredient list. How much?

    ReplyDelete