Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pina Colada Scones

I love when I get suggestions from people I know.  Even the broadest of suggestions - like the idea to use Coconut M&M's in something. A couple things came to mind - cookies, cupcakes, scones, but when someone else suggested scones, I knew that was what I should make. I tinkered around with the recipe I had and then once I decided it was good enough to try out it was time to make them.  I love making scones.  They are super delicious, easy, and the ones I make aren't hard like the normal scones, but soft and delicious.  And addicting.  Once you see how easy they are to make, you will be making them all the time.  And the best part is, they don't take long at all. 

I made the dough (and tasted a little of it) and was happy.  The real test would be how it would taste once finished.  I baked them off and let them cool and then threw together an icing for them.  Waiting for the icing to set was killing me.  I can be a tad impatient sometimes and it was coming through with these.  Time had finally come to try one.....

sooo good
......it was awesome.  I was impressed I had gotten it so good on my first attempt.  Usually it takes me a couple of tries until I deem it perfect.  But knowing me I will tinker with this a little bit more, but if you love Pina Coladas, then this will be your favorite new snack. 

Pina Colada Scones


3/4 cup Pina Colada Mix or Cream of Coconut
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, frozen (at least 1 hour or longer)
1 bag Coconut M&M's
Glaze:
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp Almond Extract
2 tbsp Pina Colada Mix or Cream of Coconut
1-2 tbsp milk
pinch of salt

  1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Whisk together and thoroughly aerate and combine.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, Pina Colada Mix and almond extract until smooth and thoroughly mixed.
  3. Using a cheese grater, grate the frozen butter directly into the flour mixture.  When all the butter has been grated into the flour mixture, mix with a fork until butter is fully incorporated.  Add in M&M's. 
  4. Add liquid mixture and stir until dough comes together.
  5. Flour a piece of parchment paper and remove dough to flour covered paper and shape into an 8" round or a large square (depending on what shape and size you want your scones to be).  Transfer parchment paper to a cookie sheet and place in the freezer to firm up, 20-30 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats. Remove dough from freezer and cut into shapes - if you shaped it into a circle, cut into 8 triangles.  If you shaped it into a large square, cut into strips and then divide each strip into small triangles (this will give you the highest yield of scones).  Place each scone on prepared cookie sheets and bake - for larger scones bake 15-17 minutes, for smaller ones, bake 8-10 - until edges are golden brown.  Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely.
  7. Once cooled, make glaze.  Once glaze is thickness you like, drizzle over each scone.  Let glaze set.  

No comments:

Post a Comment