Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lemon-Cranberry Yeast Cake

I am a lover of quick breads.  They are so tasty and, as the name says, quick.  I saw this recipe and was intrigued by it since it involves yeast.  I had to make it.  I've never seen a recipe like this before, my thoughts went to how will the yeast make it taste and how much will it rise - I swear my mind goes off in a million directions when it sees something I want to make.  I read and re-read the directions a million times.  I wanted to add something to it so I added some dried cranberries.  It went along perfectly with it.  If you are up for a different kind of cake, try this one out.  It is very tasty and the syrup you put on it once it comes out of the oven leaves the cake amazingly moist and delicious. 



Lemon-Cranberry Yeast Cake
makes one 10" cake

Cake
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, divided
2 1/4 tsp (one packet) instant yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup warm milk
10 tbsp butter, melted
4 large eggs
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 cups dried cranberries

Syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice

  1. Grease a 10" tube pan
  2. In a large bow combine 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt.  Combine the warm milk and melted butter, and gradually add to the flour mixture, mixing for 2 minutes.  Add the eggs, remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and lemon zest.  Beat vigorously for 2 minutes, stir in dried cranberries.  Spread the dough evenly into the pan.  Cover, and let rise for 1 hour.  Towards the end of the cake's rising time, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  3. Make the syrup: combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the syrup thickens.  Add the lemon juice, and remove from the heat.
  4. Bake the cake for 22-25 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.  Remove it from the oven.
  5. Brush half the syrup over the cake, and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.  Turn it out onto a rack set over parchment paper or a pan.  Brush the remaining syrup over the newly exposed bottom crust.  Turn the cake right-side up onto a plate, and cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment