Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches

As I was out one day delivering treats, I ran into a friend and we started talking about my baking and what she's had so far that she's liked.  Then she had an ingenious idea, to take one of the cookies I made and do an ice cream sandwich with them.  I said that could be done, I just had to figure out which one she was talking about.  Even though it had only been a couple of weeks since I had made the cookie she was talking about, I still couldn't remember what it was - that's how much I bake.  Sometimes I even have problems remembering what I made last week - and this is why I always have Post-It notes for myself about things to do or things I need at the grocery store.  If I don't, I forget.  I know that if at some point in the future everything goes digital and there's no paper anymore, I will have hoarded a ton of Post-It's to keep myself happy. 

I go home to find the cookie - it took me a couple minutes to find it, but when I did I knew instantly that it would work perfectly.  Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies would go great with any ice cream, but I went with vanilla.  You can choose to make your own vanilla ice cream or use store bought.  I made my own ice cream (shocking I know).  And wouldn't you know it - the ice cream sort of melted out of each cookie. 

yes, there is ice cream in between the cookies, and
more all around the edges
I was bummed, I do have a perfection thing when it comes to my baking.  I texted my friend at Lettuce Eat Together about my issue and she said it happens, that homemade ice cream is softer than store bought.  It did make me feel a little better, but I was still a little upset - so a nice glass of wine was in order.  Once relaxed and not stressed out about it anymore, I tried one out.  It was tasty....even if some of the ice cream was around the edges of the cookie.  I will be making these again.  I do have a soft spot for ice cream sandwiches and summer is the perfect time for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment