Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Brown Sugar-Toffee Chip Shortbread Cookies

I adapted this recipe from David Lebovitz's Brown Sugar-Pecan Shortbread Cookies.  I'm not a fan of nuts in my desserts, this is no secret.  But I had a bag of toffee chips laying around and I thought it would go perfectly in this recipe.  Plus, I love shortbread cookies, and a brown sugar version of it?! I was all over making this one.  I didn't need to tinker with it much, I love easy recipes like this.  And to top them all off, I dipped each one in chocolate - could it get any better? I think not.  So make these cookies!! And you can always freeze the dough for up to a month, and we all know how I love to have cookie dough in the freezer for whenever needed. 

Brown Sugar-Toffee Chip Shortbread Cookies
makes about 48 cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 bag toffee bit chips
4 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

  1. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.  In a large bowl beat together the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until just completely smooth and no streaks of butter remain.  Mix in the vanilla.  Add the flour mixture and beat until completely incorporated.  Stir in toffee bits.
  2. Turn out dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap.  Shape dough into a log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.  Place in fridge for at least 1 hour, or overnight. 
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.  Cut log into 1/4" pieces and space 1" apart on cookie sheet.  Bake, rotating halfway through, for 8-10 minutes, until edges are golden brown.  Let sit on tray for 5 minutes, until firm, and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. 
  4. Once cookies are fully cooled, melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl, 30 seconds at a time until melted.  Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, shake of excess.  Place on a large piece of parchment paper and let chocolate set.  

No comments:

Post a Comment