Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Orange Popsicle Ice Cream

I've never been a fan of the Creamsicle.  My mom, however, is a huge fan of them.  Huge.  I remember she always bought them when I was younger, and I would always just eat the orange part and leave the middle for her to eat.  When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it for her.  And I have to admit - this is the easiest recipe ever.  All you need is a blender, your ingredients and your ice cream machine.  No cooking of anything required for this one.  It didn't take me long to make this at all - under 5 minutes.  Who doesn't love something that easy?  I'm pretty sure that it took me longer to do the dishes than it did to actively make this.  Toss it all in the blender to make it smooth, toss it in the fridge to chill and then into your ice cream machine to churn. 

just like the popsicle
Of course I had to try a little, and it tastes exactly like the popsicle.  Exactly.  If you are a fan of the Creamsicle, then this is a must make.  My mom was extremely excited for this. 

Orange Popsicle Ice Cream
makes about 1 quart

2/3 cup sugar
grated zest of 3 oranges
1 1/4 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (from 4 or 5 large oranges)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half and half
2 tsp Grand Marnier or another orange flavored liqueur

In a blender, pulverize the sugar and orange zest until the zest is very fine.  Add the orange juice, sour cream, half and half, and Grand Marnier and blend until the sugar is completely dissolved.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment