Friday, February 18, 2011

Peanut Butter Cookies with Butterscotch Chips

I had a very nice request for some peanut butter cookies from an adorable man.  I thought no problem! I've got tons of recipes for those! Easy, done.  Then he threw out that he wanted butterscotch chips in them.  Strange I thought, but he said that these were his favorite cookies. So I did a little comparing of recipes and ultimately came up with my own recipe for these bad boys.  

I get out a couple of my cookbooks and start to compare recipes.  They vary a little from book to book, so I decide to take what sounds the best from each cookie recipe to make my own "super cookie".  Super cookie indeed! So creamy and delicious.  Peanut Butter Cookies aren't really my favorite, but I will definately make these again if someone wants Peanut Butter Cookies. 

I think the key with a cookie like this, is that you want a really creamy, fluffy batter.  And that's what I got


look at how creamy and
fluffy it is!!
And I have to admit, I wasn't too sure about adding butterscotch chips, but they totally made the cookie have that little something extra and a little unexpected.  And it is a really tasty cookie.  I scoop the batter with my trusty cookie scoop (if you don't have one, you really should get one - I love mine....it makes making cookies so easy since they all come out the same shape and size) and bake them off.



perfect size with my
cookie scoop :)
10 minutes later, my house smells amazing and I have cookie perfection. 


golden brown and delicious
 I let them cool and then pack them up in a tin for the adorable man who requested these.  I was extremely pleased with how good they turned out on my first try with a new recipe.  Usually I can find things that I don't like about it and make a note for the next time I make it.  But I feel really confident with this version and am going to not change anything about it.  And the recipient was a very happy camper :)   They turned out better than I thought they would - and he said they tasted better than he could of imagined.

So here's my "super cookie" recipe.  I hope you like them

Peanut Butter Cookies with Butterscotch Chips
 makes 2 1/2 dozen

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 sticks butter (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups smooth peanut butter
6 oz butterscotch chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour and baking soda in a bowl.
  2. Put butter and both sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add egg; mix until well combined.  Mix in vanilla and then peanut butter. Reduce speed to low.  Add flour mixture; mix until just combined.  Stir in butterscotch chips.
  3. Drop batter by heaping teaspoons onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper or Silpats, spacing about 1 1/2" apart.
  4. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until centers are firm and edges are lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes.  Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment