Now, if you're thinking "I can make brownies out of a box and they are great" you are so wrong my friend. Try these and you will never go back to boxed brownies. I promise you - that good. The great thing with this recipe is that you don't even need to get out your mixer, all you need is a whisk. Even better, right?! The batter comes together quickly, and the hardest part of this is that you make a peanut butter filling as well. I think you can handle it :)
I get the oven preheating and get both batters going. I fill up my pan with most of the chocolate batter and then I put dollops of the peanut butter filling in the pan. It's kinda fun, who doesn't like to play with their food? Reminds me of childhood. Once I'm done putting in the peanut butter filling I add the rest of the chocolate batter.
|it looks like a mess|
|they taste better|
than they look
Here is the recipe from MS's Cookies Cookbook
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
makes 9 large or 16 small
For the batter:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for pan
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8" square baking pan and line with parchment, allowing a 2" overhang. Butter lining (not overhang)
- Make batter: Put butter and chocolates in a heatproof medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk granulated sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs, and whisk until mixture is smooth. Stir in vanilla. Add flour mixture, stir until well combined.
- Make filling: Stir together butter, confectioner's sugar, peanut butter, salt and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.
- Pour one-third of batter into prepared pan; spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Drop dollops of peanut butter filling (about 1 tbsp each) on top of batter, spacing about 1" apart. Drizzle remaining batter on top, and gently spread to fill pan. Drop dollops of remaining peanut butter mixture on top. Gently swirl peanut butter filling into batter with a butter knife, running the knife lengthwise and crosswise through layers.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into brownies (avoid center and edges) comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Life out; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.