Thursday, February 3, 2011

Truffle Brownies

Im on a roll, having a spectacularly crappy week.  So I thought that I would try to bake again....didn't really go that well. My heart is still not really into it.  I got out my Martha Stewart "Martha Stewart's Cookies" cookbook.  Now, I've used this thing so many times, it's falling apart on me.  :(  I will eventually have to break down and get a new copy of it since pages keep falling out and I've got numerous stains on pages (a sign of an excellent cookbook).  Everytime I use it I pray to the baking gods that it will make it through this session and live on for another day.  And I will most likey shed a little tear when the day comes that I have to throw it away....Im such a nerd.  But this is my "go to" book - never lets me down when I need a recipe for something or when I want to make my own version of something in the book. 

And I used this as an excuse to finally use my springform pan that has just been sitting in my baking cabinet, dying to be used.  So why not make a delicious fudgy brownie with a fantasic chocolate ganache topping?  Sounds perfect to mend my broken heart.  So I get to work and make the batter.  Things seem to be going pretty well and before I know it, I'm pouring the batter into my springform pan.


chocolatey and fudgey batter :)

Away it goes into the oven and I let it bake and then take it out to let it cool.  Once its fully cooled, I started on the ganache.  I love making these - always nice and rich and delicious.  It is time consuming because depending on which one I'm making (I've got a couple recipes for different types of ganaches) depends on how long it takes for it to set.  This one called for up to 30 minutes.  And against my better judgement I poured it ontop of the brownies.  I knew this was a mistake - I should of listened to myself. 


ganache - and my festive
winter spatula
 It needed another 15 minutes to finish setting up.  It wasn't thick enough and I thought it would be ok to pour it on top of the brownies to finish setting.  Big mistake.  :(  I've got high standards when I make things - I always want them to come out perfect and I'm not happy with them if they turn out "just ok" in my eyes. 
I stick it in the fridge praying that it will set up right, but I knew that it wouldn't really.  So I check on it hours later and it did set up. When I go to cut it up, the ganache starts to run.  :(  I knew it would still taste the same and my sister Heays coworkers wouldn't care about looks (its mostly guys - they really don't critique the look of the treats, just the taste.  They are more excited that she's got stuff for them to eat than what it is or what it looks like).  I stick them in the fridge until she goes to work. 


not the best looking, but
still delicious though
They were a hit with her coworkers, which I knew they would be.  I'm just more bummed that I couldn't get it right.  Lesson learned - stay out of the kitchen until fully ready to put my heart back into making things. 

Here is the recipe for those wanting to attempt it :) 



Truffle Brownies
makes about 1 dozen

for the batter:
1/2 stick (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

for the ganache:
4 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup heavy cream

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Butter a 9" springform pan.
  2. Make batter:  put butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until melted.  Let cool slightly.
  3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
  4. Put sugar and eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes.  Add chocolate mixture, the milk, and vanilla, and mix until combined.  Reduce speed to low.  Add flour mixture; mix, scraping down sides of bowl, until well combined.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake until a cake tester inserted into brownies (avoid center and edges) comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, 27-30 minutes.  Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
  6. Make ganache:  Put chocolate in a bowl.  Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until just simmering.  Pour over chocolate; let stand 5 minutes.  Gently stir until smooth.  Let ganache cool, stirring every 10 minutes, until slightly thickened, 25-30 minutes.
  7. Pour ganache over cooled brownies in a pan; let set, about 20 minutes.  Refrigerate until cold, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
  8. Let brownies stand at room temperature at least 15 minutes before serving.  Release springform, and remove brownies; cut into wedges, wiping knife with a hot damp cloth between each cut.  Scatter sprinkles on top, if desired.  Brownies can be refrigerated in a single layer in an airtight container up to 2 days.  Bring to room temperature before serving

1 comment:

  1. yes!! the boys LOVED these!
    although... some said they were no rolos cookies :)
    maybe a little too sophisticated for some?

    ReplyDelete