Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Chocolate Cookie Balls

Sometimes you find recipes in the most random places.  I found this gem in a People Extra magazine that my parents had on their coffee table.  I immediately tore it out knowing that I had to make this.  Anyone can make these - so simple and quick.  And best of all, you only need a few ingredients.  Milk, Oreos, pudding and chocolate candy coating is all you need.


cross view of delicious goodness
I made these at the end of a day of marathon baking, I was so tired and my feet were killing me from standing on them all day and running around getting things.  The only time I think I sat all day was when I was in my car or at physical therapy.  But I knew the end was in site and these wouldn't take long.  I put the milk and pudding in the bowl and mixed.  I kinda freaked out a little when it turned into thick paste.  Thoughts of 'Should I add more milk?' ran through my head.  I told myself to add the crushed Oreos and see what happens.  I didn't need more milk.  The thick pudding mixture coats the cookies nicely.  Then comes the fun part of scooping them out into balls and then freezing them.  It says to freeze them for 10 minutes, I suggest way longer, maybe close to 30.  I only did the 10 minutes and by the time you get to the end of the tray to dip them in chocolate, they start to get smooshy.  30 minutes of freezer time will work perfectly. 
look at all those naked balls of goodness
Once they are frozen, all that's left is to dip them in melted chocolate and then let that chocolate set.  And if you want to get festive you can drizzle some white chocolate on top or put candy sprinkles, go nuts with what you want to top it with.  These wont last long - my sisters and I have snacked on them all night.  Ween had a gem of a comment "these are like chocolate covered oreos, but different" I love when she comments on my baking, she always says honest, direct things.  :)  So go get the supplies you need! These will be an instant hit and will become a staple in your baking artillery. 

Chocolate Cookie Balls
makes 42 servings

1 package (3.9 oz) JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding
1/2 cup cold milk
36 Oreo cookies, finely crushed (about 3 cups)
2 bags Chocolate Candy Coating

  1. Beat pudding mix and milk in medium bowl with whisk 2 minutes.  Add cookie crumbs; mix well.  Shape into 42 (1") balls. 
  2. Freeze 10 minutes.  Dip balls in melted chocolate, place in single layer on parchment paper lined baking sheet. 
  3. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until firm.  Drizzle with white chocolate (if doing sprinkles or something like that, apply while chocolate is still wet).

No comments:

Post a Comment