Friday, November 18, 2011

Glazed Mocha Cookies

I had the best vacation.  I really needed it, and it came at the right time.  I got to see a lot of friends and family, see 2 of my friends who are meant to be together get married and have the most amazing wedding, and have so much fun in the process of all this.  I did get to bake some cookies with one of my cousin's kids (it was really adorable, and tons of fun) so I didn't go all week without baking.  But I did miss it and was happy to get back into the kitchen yesterday. 

Things were going smoothly and I was back in the groove.  I chilled the dough and cleaned everything up.  Sliced the cookies and baked them off.  My last sheet of cookies were in the oven and it came time to take them out.  As I was pulling the sheet out, the parchment paper slipped off.....and so did half of the cookies.  Swears immediately came out of my mouth and while my reflexes were quick, I couldn't save most of them.  Half of them ended up burning on the floor of the oven.  The other half were either smooshed and in strange shapes or perfectly ok.  The baking gods were mad that I took a week off and they were making me pay for it.  It was not a pretty sight to see.  After the mishap, I let the cookies cool and all that was left was to glaze them.  This I couldn't mess up (thankfully I didn't - you never know, it could of happened).  Glaze was all made and into a plastic bag it went and drizzled it on top of each cookie.  I do love this part.  You don't have to be artistic at all for it and it always comes out pretty, which is great for someone like me who can't even draw a straight line.  These were delicious.  I happily packed them up and brought them to my taste testers.  They were happy I was back and baking again.  It was a good welcome home. 

yum


Glazed Mocha Cookies
makes about 22-40 (depending on
how thick you slice the dough)

3 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp espresso coffee powder
1 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
Glaze:
1 1/3 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp espresso coffee powder
2 tbsp hot water

  1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over barely simmering water.  In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda and salt.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar at high speed until creamy.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat for 1 minute.  With mixer on low speed, beat in the dry ingredients and melted chocolate.
  3. Divide the dough in two.  Form into two 9x2" logs, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. 
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.  Slice the dough 2/3" thick and place 1" apart on baking sheet. (If you slice thinner, time will be shorter).
  5. Bake until the edges are firm and bottoms are slightly browned, 12-15 minutes.  Cool on baking sheets until the cookies firm slightly, about 5 minutes.  Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. 
  6. Make glaze: Mix confectioners sugar and coffee in a small bowl.  Stir in enough hot water to obtain a drizzling consistency.  Drizzle over the cookies and let set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment