Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Egg Nog Coffee Cake Muffins

I searched and searched for a good quick bread recipe for Egg Nog Bread and couldn't find anything.  Frustrated I started to wonder if I took my favorite Coffee Cake recipe and turned it into Egg Nog Coffee Cake.  I had to try this out.  I made the Streusel Topping and set it in the fridge and then went to work on making tweaks on the recipe.  Time to put my plan into action.  I made the batter and tasted it (a must when trying something out) and was happy with it.  Into the tins they went and topped with the topping.  Time for the oven, 13 minutes later they were ready.  I took them out to cool and then made the Egg Nog glaze to go on top.  Once all ready, I tested one out. 

delicious
Tasted pretty good if you ask me.  The Egg Nog doesn't come through enough, so I'm going to make another round of these at some point.  But here's my recipe for what I've got so far.  Enjoy.  :)

Egg Nog Coffee Cake Muffins
makes 30

Streusel Topping:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, room temp

Whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; cut in the butter using a pastry blender, your fingertips or two knives until combined but still crumbly.  Refrigerate 30 minutes before using.

2 sticks (1 cup) butter, melted
4 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups Egg Nog

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line muffin tins with paper liners.  In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg; set aside.
  2. In another large bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla and egg nog.  Whisk in the melted butter.  Using a rubber spatula, fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.  Fill cups halfway, put a layer of topping on top then cover with more batter.  Top each muffin with more topping. 
  3. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until the muffins are puffed and golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean, 16-18 minutes.  Transfer to wire racks to cool, then glaze.
  4. Egg Nog Glaze:  Whisk together 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar with 3 tbsp Egg Nog.  Whisk together until smooth; use immediately.  Drizzle glaze over top of each muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment