Here's a huge tip - once you make the cupcakes and take them out of the oven to cool, make the coconut mixture. It needs hours to cool before you can use it. You could even make the coconut mixture first if you want, either way works. Once cooled, take a heaping tablespoonful of it and place it on top and squish it down and then top with chocolate glaze and roasted almonds for garnish. Delicious. You will not be let down by this recipe.
Almond Joy Cupcakes
makes 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
2 large eggs plus 4 egg whites, room temperature
1 cup cream of coconut
1 tsp coconut extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
12 tbsp butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
For the Topping:
2 cups whole milk
1 14oz bag shredded coconut
1 tbsp confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
For the glaze and garnish
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
3 tbsp light corn syrup
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp hot water
48 roasted almonds (roasting nuts is easy - 350 degree oven for 8-10 min when you smell nuts they're done)
- Make the cupcakes. Line two standard muffin tins with paper liners. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk the whole eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Whisk in the cream of coconut, coconut extract and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Beat the butter in one piece at a time, with a mixer on low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal, 3 to 4 minutes. Add half of the egg mixture, increase the speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the remaining egg mixture until combined, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Divide the batter among the prepared cups, filling each about halfway. Bake until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Make the topping: Combine the milk, coconut, confectioners sugar, vanilla and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until the milk is absorbed and the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- Make the glaze: Put the chocolate, corn syrup, butter and water in a microwave safe bowl. Melt at 30 second intervals until chocolate is melted. Stir until smooth.
- Top each cupcake with a heaping tablespoon of the coconut mixture, pressing gently until compact. Spoon 1 teaspoon of glaze on top and then top off with 2 roasted almonds. Refrigerate until the glaze sets, about 20 minutes.