Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chocolate Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've had my eye on this recipe for a while now.  It calls to me every time I open the cookbook.  Today was the day I finally broke down and made them.  I couldn't put it off any longer.  I mean a Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookie?  It had my name written all over it.  The recipe originally called for nuts, but I don't like nuts in my desserts, so I rummaged around to see what else I had on hand - coconut.  Perfect.  It sounded like this would be one of my new favorite cookies, but I have to admit that any cookie with caramel in it will always take the lead in my book.

Away I went to work on making these - and a cookie that starts off with a pound of melted chocolate, you know it's going to be good.  I'm a self proclaimed chocolate lover - the darker the better.  I will always choose a chocolate dessert when I'm out - it's very rare that I choose something that's not of the chocolate variety.  I guess you could of figured this out already by the amount of chocolate things I have posted on here over the last year. 
cookies of deliciousness
You will want to make these - they will be calling your name.  I can't go on enough about how amazing these are. 

Chocolate Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 40 cookies

1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 tbsp butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut

  1. Add the chocolate and butter to a large heatproof bowl.  Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth.  Remove the bowl from the heat.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. In a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla on high speed until the mixture forms a well-defined ribbon when the beater is lifted, about 5 minutes.  With the mixer running on low speed, mix in the melted chocolate-butter mixture until thoroughly incorporated, then stir in the flour mixture followed by the chocolate chips and coconut.  Cover and refrigerate the dough until it's firm enough to handle, at least 30 minutes.
  4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.  Scoop out rounded teaspoons of dough and space about an inch apart on prepared baking trays. 
  5. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until the cookies feel just slightly firm at the edges, about 9 minutes. 
  6. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets until firm enough to handle, then use a spatula to transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment