Thursday, March 29, 2012

Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

I was at a loss as to what to make the other day.  Sometimes I have things planned out weeks ahead, other times I just go with what I feel like baking.  But I had no idea what to make the other day.  Then I came across this recipe and knew it would be perfect.  Things with brown butter in it make the flavor so much better since the butter develops a nutty flavor when browned.  They were supposed to be cookie bars, but I turned them into cookies.....just about anything that is a cookie bar can be made into cookies - very rarely do you run into the exception to it.  I got to work on making these and put the first batch in the oven.  Heays is off work this week and was in the kitchen with me while I was baking.  When I was a couple batches deep in baking them, Heays turned to me and said she didn't know if she could stay in the kitchen much longer because they smelled so good and they were tempting her too much.  I love my sisters honesty on my baking.....I know she wouldn't of said it unless she meant it. 

All the cookies were done and cooling - and I went to move one of the cooling racks with cookies on it and I dropped one.  I swore and Heays came in and said she got it! She knew I couldn't give out something that fell on the floor - even if I do clean the area by the stove every day because I get flour all over the place.  Once cooled I even tried one.....they were good - really good. 

delicious
I packed them up and off I went to my taste testers.  I love seeing one of them, she anxiously awaits my arrival and usually has a cup of tea waiting to drink with her treats I bring.  We always say hi and I tell her what I've got for her that day and then she immediately tries one - and she never fails with a good comment for me.  I love her bluntness about things I bring her, she always says the first thing that comes to her mind.  She said that these were like 'sex in my mouth' and that she was going to hide the rest from her boyfriend.  Now I know what you're thinking, but her boyfriend has his own list of things for me to make going for him and I'm slowly crossing them off (he gave me like 10 things) and yes she does share with him, he just gets a couple :) On to my next stop and they immediately dove into them as well.  These will be sure to please anyone. 

Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 3 dozen

1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup toffee bits

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with Silpats or parchment paper. 
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook the butter until it turns golden brown; remove from heat and let cool.  Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine browned butter and both sugars; stir with a wooden spoon until combined.  Attach bowl to mixer; add eggs.  Using the paddle attachment, beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat to combine.  Add the flour mixture and beat until combined.  Add toffee bits and chocolate chips and stir until fully incorporated. 
  4. Scoop teaspoon of dough onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing each one 2" apart - they will spread out.  Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, 9-12 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.  Let cool on trays for 2 minutes and then move to cooling rack to completely cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment